G85 Stuck In Some Sort Of Burst Mode

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I seem to be stuck in some sort of burst mode where it sounds like the camera is taking 3 to 4 shots at a time with a single press of the shutter. When the shot is previewed looks like only one shot was taken.

I must have selected a option for this but not sure what. It has happened twice now, the first time a reset from the setup menu fixed the problem, second time it did not.
The drive mode dial is in single shot and the problem is in all shooting modes, PASM A+ etc.

In the reset menu there appears to be three types of reset, I have tried them all. Not everything gets reset to factory defaults. Constant live view and 1/3 grid lines do not get reset so I am guessing I have selected a setting somewhere, as I have been going through the options trying to see what they do. I noticed in the manual there are some setting for iA auto mode where multiple night shots etc get combined into one shot, but I have not selected any of those. At least I do not think so.

Any ideas on what I may have done. Anyway I have exhausted the battery trying to fix the problem, hopefully new day can sort it. Time to hit the hay.

parkgt

Mu-43 Regular
Mine did the same thing after doing a time-lapse animation. Turned off, changed focus and drive mode and it returned to normal. I did not reset anything.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Did a total, reset of all 3 options, dropped out the battery but the problem still exists. The camera did get reset as I had to reset the region. Read the manual a bit last night and being stuck in HDR mode seems to be possible, but coming from Olympus I do not have any experience to go by.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Twisting/untwisting the top-left drive dial?
Tried that as well. Also set the camera to shoot with out lens and took the lens off. But sounds so different without the lens I could not make any judgement there.

I am going to leave work early today and go to the shop I purchased it from. They are pretty good and can hopefully sort it out.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Tried that as well. Also set the camera to shoot with out lens and took the lens off. But sounds so different without the lens I could not make any judgement there.

I am going to leave work early today and go to the shop I purchased it from. They are pretty good and can hopefully sort it out.
I passed the camera around the office. the general consensus of opinion is the when the shutter is released you hear 3 clicks for the G85.
for the Olympus E-P5 you only hear 2 clicks.

Is this something to do with the magnetic shutter on the G85 compared to a normal shutter like on the E-P5?

Edit;
When this first happened it was after the wife tried focus stacking some flowers she had purchased. When the camera was put back in single mode on the left wheel the camera still fired off a lot of shots but did not display multiple green focus boxes. A full reset fixed it.

After a few more shots we both noticed that the camera seemed to be firing multiple shots but not as many as previously. Only three actuations heard.

Now we were listening now more intently than when the camera was first purchased so the 3 shutter clicks for each shot may not have been noticed with the new camera.

I have read that live view in some cameras can cause this as the shutter closes before taking the shot then has to open and close again.

"Constant Preview" is off so not sure if this applies, but maybe something to do with the new shutter.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I took the camera in to the store that I purchased it from and they helped fairly well with explanations of the shutter sounds with this camera. Indicating that this camera’s shutter sound actuations seem different to some previous cameras. They did not know why the difference just that there appears to be one.

They indicated two possible issues, possible burst modes not changing when wheel rotated and the sounds from the new shutter type. My camera’s shutter type was set to auto so depending on conditions different shutter modes were in use. They checked my camera to the display one and they both operated the same.

The different shutter sound actuations were not as noticeable on high shutter speeds, drop down to say 1 sec and they become much more apparent.

For each shutter actuation (picture) there were multiple “clicks” for lack of a better word.
# Mechanical shutter sound for each actuation seems to be 4 clicks (2 slight pause 2 more)
# Electronic First Curtain 3 clicks (1 slight pause 2 more)
# Electronic 1 click or silent depending on your setup.
The pauses between clicks was something I perceived, not the shop assistant so it could be wrong.

Since the mechanical shutter sounds has 4 clicks it sort of sounds like two pictures were taken.
I guess depending when in the cycle of clicks the image is recorded there could be a delay at lower shutter speeds, not sure.

For reference we had my E-P5 that I think only has a mechanical shutter and it only gave 2 clicks for a shutter actuation.

I will try to find out more on how the different shutter types to better understand the above behavior, to satisfy my curiosity.

One thing I am glad of is having a good store with helpful staff you can talk too about your camera.

Wasabi Bob

Mu-43 All-Pro
Put the camera into "P" mode and press the "display" button so that all the info is displayed on the LCD panel, Post a photo of the screen so I can see what modes are active. Also, what mode is the camera in? Single shot, Burst and so on. Post a photo of tthe LCD showing the drive mode. Honestly, I seriously doubt there is anything wrong wwith the camera - 99% of the time it;'s user error.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Put the camera into "P" mode and press the "display" button so that all the info is displayed on the LCD panel, Post a photo of the screen so I can see what modes are active. Also, what mode is the camera in? Single shot, Burst and so on. Post a photo of tthe LCD showing the drive mode. Honestly, I seriously doubt there is anything wrong wwith the camera - 99% of the time it;'s user error.
I think you are right nothing wrong with the camera that is what the store was showing me with the different shutter mode sounds. I cant upload a picture until Sunday my time (Saturday morning now) as I am only on a tablet now, have to wait till I get home.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have the screen shots below with the exception of the "LCD showing the drive mode" as I could not find that screen.
Like you I think there is nothing wrong with the camera. I think the first time I somehow left the camera in a burst mode by mistake or left the wheel not properly selected or something and the reset fixed my problem. Second time I was using the camera with slow shutter speeds and the sound of the shutter is like taking multiple shots compared to my OLY, especially since I was still thinking of my previous problem.

Hopefully the right screen shots are posted below. The pictures viewed correctly on my PC but uploaded rotated, no idea how to correct that.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

bpreston85

New to Mu-43
I just bought the G85 and was having the same issue. I finally found that it is bracketing the picture with several different exposure settings. To resolve it, I went into the REC Menu, select Bracket Menu Choice and turned it off.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom