G85 is this camera a FLOP OR ???????

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Dakota, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Dakota

Dakota Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2016
    Burson, Ca.
    Bill Cook
    I only see I one recent thread one the G85 and only a few pictures on it. I thought I would see a lot more photos and comments on this camera. It seems to have good reviews from what I can find and read. It I was considering getting one but now I do not know does not seem to be
    a popular camera compared to Olympus. I was looking at the EM-1 but the production from what I have read will soon stop soon as the MII is released which is way out of my price range. I kind of hate to buy a new camera that is out of production. I see a few camera stores still have them for sale the EM-1s. The stabilization on the Pan seems to be excellent compared to the Olympus if I am correct? Appreciate some feedback on this post. Thanks Bill

• Like Like x 1
  2. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Search more on this forum and net. The G85 is a fantastic camera, and once a few bugs were corrected with firmware it is both a great stills and video camera. I would purchase the G85 before the E-M1 i unless you were interested in using legacy 4/3's lenses. If you are interested in video I would pass on the E-M1 i.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Dakota

Dakota Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2016
    Burson, Ca.
    Bill Cook
    dornblaser; Thanks for the feedback appreciate it. I am still interested in the G85. Thanks again Bill

• Like Like x 1
  4. skellington

skellington Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 4, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Keith
    The G85 has only been out for a month or three, and doesn't have any significant new features. (It is basically a larger GX85 with a mic input, etc.)

It is a big advance on the G7 (adding IBIS and the new electromagnetic shutter) but those were both in the GX.

I really want a G85, and nothing I've seen has suggested it is anything other than a nice solid camera by Panasonic.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 All-Pro

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    It is a real shame to not see as many reviews for Panasonic gear as you see for Olympus gear.
    I am keeping an eye on this camera as well.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. JasonDot

JasonDot Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 14, 2016
    I have a G85, it's a great camera. I use it mostly for video. The popularity scale is something I DID NOT take into consideration, it came down to features and a bit of brand loyalty.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Hi Keith,

Back to you question. You can see my current kit, plus others that are in my wife's kit that are not listed, in signature. I have had and used GHx. My friend has a couple of GXx cameras. Dimensions are subject, look at camerasize to compare. My favorite stills camera remains and continues to be the E-M5 ii. I shoot both stills and video. My videos are entirely interview and documentary. I am, and have been if you have read my prior posts, a huge believer in IBIS for video. What I really like about the G85 is that it is a fantastic stills camera as well. I no longer think: Panasonic video, Olympus stills. Now it is manual focus Olympus, auto focus Panasonic. The G85 has great ergonomics, and comes in a fantastic price. Well worth your attention.

Don't let any tell you that the G85 is not a strong contender in m4/3 bodies.

- David

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Dakota

Dakota Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2016
    Burson, Ca.
    Bill Cook
    I do know going to the Olympus EM-1 I will get the 1/8000 shutter speed which can come in handy. The 1/4000 shutter speed on the Pan is ok but I prefer a faster shutter for sports and
    auto racing and wildlife I love to do. I may have to step into the EM-1 which is ok as long as the warranty is good. I would like to use the Pan 100-300 lens on the Olympus EM-1 tho. I guess it will work on the Oly ok seeing the Oly has 5 axis stab. I hate to make a decision. I do not do much video so that is not a priority as the Pan with 4K video. I have about 4 weeks to figure this all out. Sad part is time flies. All the info I can get helps. Thanks Bill

9. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    G85 is popular with video folks, not so much for stills which mu-43 is

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    The G85 is chock full of good stuff and don't let anyone tell you it isn't popular or good, it's one of the most compelling cameras Panasonic has ever put out! Great new shutter, IBIS, 4k feature set and weather sealed, for the price? Amazing! I don't own it as I bought the GX85 before the G85 was announced and I like the rangefinder style a little better, but I'd have absolutely no qualms about switching today if for some reason I had to.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    When googling, also look for G80.

These guys thought it was okay. :) Look at the contenders it beat. Most were higher priced.

I don't see how you could go wrong with this camera.

• Like Like x 1
  12. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

The only really compelling thing about the E-M1 is that it has good C-AF. Now that Panasonic have IBIS too there really isn't much in it beyond that (their IBIS is still a bit less refined than Olympus though).

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    I'd buy a camera based on its value to me, not how popular it is. My 760D (T6S) has zero credibility in photography circles and very little coverage in web forums, but I absolutely love it.

The G80/85 looks like a fantastic camera and sets a new standard at its price point. Weather sealing, dual IS, 4k photo. I'll probably pick one up at some point, but I generally buy a camera after its been out for some time, so that bugs are ironed out, there is plenty of 'real world' user feedback and the price no longer includes a hype tax.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    FWIW if you don't require the level of CAF performance and hi-res shot provided by the em1 II, G85 probably is the best choice for now, I know my GX85's AFC and tracking are a big step up from G6/EP5 generation bodies, there really isn't much you're going to miss with the G85.

15. I finally held the GX85 in a shop yesterday and have to say it's probably not going to be my next camera like I thought it was...

Now it's probably going to be a toss up between the Pen F and the G85... just have to cop a feel of them first...

16. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    I think it is a great camera. However it doesn't bring any sensor improvement over the gx85 so showing off the photos it makes doesn't quite have the same appeal. Also it was released late fall for many people not often a time for lots of photo taking.
    Anyway those are my excuses.
    It has been pretty well received by official reviewers and for me is the change that I needed to see before I bought another G series body.

• Like Like x 1
  17. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    Personally I think the reason the Pana forum is so small compared to the Oly is the Pana users are out there shooting and not busy posting about how oly is better than pana etc etc....:hail::biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I would recommend it to anybody.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. stagor

stagor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Netherlands / N.Ireland
    Stan
    I have owned many cameras over the years, including Olympus and Fujifilm, recently having gone G3, GX7, and now G80, and I would recommend it to anyone, many people say you can hardly see the difference the removal of AA filter makes, but I can see the improvement in sharpness, another feature not often mentioned is the large oled EVF, great if you wear glasses like me. Fantastic soft shutter no more clunk click. Its weather proofed, has OIS plus IBIS, superfast accurate auto focus, and although I liked the look of my GX7 I much prefer the ergonomics of the G80, I can do just about any setting without taking my eye from the viewfinder, and it sits comfortably in my hand, and last but not least I love the results I'm getting. PS someone told me it does 4K video as well. wow.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I have to say those 2 cameras are as different as can be as far ergonomics and aesthetics go :)

• Agree Agree x 4