1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

G85 Filter Effects & Flash Together ?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by retiredfromlife, May 24, 2019.

1. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Today I tried to use filter effects with flash, but I could not get the flash to fire.
    I tried setting the filter effects from both the main menu and the artist pallet on the dial. I wanted to try some of the softer filters for snaps of older family members. Outside with no flash I thought the silky monochrome looked ok, but no go with flash. I was just trying TTL with a metz 26 AF-2.

Any ideas what I have have done wrong, I tried all the modes, and the flash works fine with the filters turned on. Flash is set to "forced flash on"

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  2. ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 26, 2017
    Manual states the filter modes sets flash to off.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. fader

fader Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 20, 2016
    Intermittent Globe Trotter
    Isaac
    Oh weird! The Olympus bodies let you use any of the "art" filters with flash. I keep thinking I'll end up with a Panasonic again so I keep lurking here :D 

4. ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 26, 2017
    Panasonic does other weird stuff with flash. For instance, you can't bracket with it. If you have bracketing set (focus/exposure), as soon as you mount a flash/trigger and turn it on the bracketing is disabled. There is simply no reason for this, but they do it anyway. Luckily the G9 has a sync port so you can work around the issue.

Lot's of weird little gotchas in panny cameras that other camera makers seem able to avoid.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. fader

fader Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 20, 2016
    Intermittent Globe Trotter
    Isaac
    That's good to know. There are several Pannys that I really like - GX8, GX9, GX95, and the GH4/5. A used GH4 is actually pretty high on my list.

6. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Thanks must have miss-read
    I thought the filter effects only caused problems if set by the artist pallet on the dial, but if you set them by the menu OK.

Shame as I rely like that silky monochrome buy I cant replicate it manually yet. Must be a way, will have to experiment a bit.

But then compared to Olympus you can set B&W view and stay in colour mode, constant preview for manual mode, and in the G9 that zoom in for auto focus mode.
    With I could afford both the pro models, but alas G85 & EM10.2 will have to do.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  7. Apollo T.

Apollo T. Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2016
    Northern, New Jersey
    I may be very wrong in my recall of the following: someone said that he set flash access to an fn button, which allowed him to use flash in cases like yours. Or he may have access to both a preset and flash as a custom setting.
    This was a while ago when I was just starting to learn digital. I didn’t understand what he was talking about. I just kind of recall that it sounded cool. I have no idea where I came across that post.

• Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.