G80/G85 exposure preview and iISO?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Kalli, Jun 19, 2017 at 5:19 AM.

1. Kalli

Kalli Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 3, 2011
    I've only managed one outing with my G80 so far, but I've dedicated quite some time to learn its ins and outs and how to set it up so that it suits me.

Is there no way to set the EVF and rear display to offer a constant preview of the exposure you can expect with the current exposure settings? Funny enough I had been looking for a way to lock the EVF and rear display into showing a bright image at all times, since I occasionally use a non-TTL compatible flash with my camera and ISO 200, f/5.6 and 1/125 would have made the usual EVF settings on my old E-M5 to show a very dark image. Then as I'm playing around with the camera it dawns on me that that's pretty much the default mode of the G80.

I'd prefer to have an exposure preview as my default and switch to how it seems to be now when I'm using a non-TTL flash.

Another thing that I'm scratching my head over is the iISO setting. I can't seem to find anything about it in the manuals, apart from the fact that it exists and the camera can be set to it, but googling around I saw someone on a different forum claim that iISO will vary ISO based on motion in the scene, rather than just brightness. Is that correct?

2. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 All-Pro

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Not sure exactly what you are after here as the G85 shows exposure compensation by default, I do not remember changing anything. Constant Preview is only for Manual Mode to show the resulting exposure.

To change the monitor brightness go to Wrench page 2\Monitor Display to change brightness. or Wrench page 2\ Monitor Luminance, if that is what you are after.

For your last question someone else may be able to help

3. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Not sure if this is what you are referring to but some of the scene modes like "clear sports action" and freeze animal motion" may vary the iso to keep the shutter speed high to freeze the motion.

4. Kalli

Kalli Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 3, 2011
    You are correct and I was being confused! Applying exposure compensation while in A mode (any of the AE modes I guess, but I used aperture priority) will have results on the viewfinder image.

My methodology for figuring this out was flawed. What was confusing me was that this doesn't happen in the same way while in manual exposure mode. Then the viewfinder will show a bright image, but an exposure meter appears showing how far off from "correct" exposure the settings are. (May depend on one's setup, but that's how it was for me now.)

I feel pretty confident that the G80 will do a good job with selecting exposure, so I'll probably just be using aperture priority mode most of the time, like I'm used to. I'm most likely to be in manual mode when using flash, so manual mode not compensating for selected exposure settings should work just fine for me. I might make sure that the Constant Preview setting is somewhere where I can get to it fairly easily, just in case.

Thanks for the help, this is totally clear to me now.

5. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 29, 2015
    jason
    Yes, I-iso is supposedly "intelligent" and will vary the iso according to what it thinks the shutter speed should be re subject. Whereas Auto-Iso is the more traditional setting that varies iso within a pre-set range according to the metering , aperture and SS minimums.

I havent really bothered with I-Iso because im not really able to predict what its decision is made on.

As noted, Live Preview only works in M exposure mode. I too was confused in A when i locked exposure via half press, then recomposed and noticed the viewfinder levels didn't reflect the locked values. Not sure why they do that. I now use the zebras and live histogram to monitor highlights and trust the metering, applying exp comp if i want to darken etc.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Kalli

Kalli Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 3, 2011
    Is that from the manual? I had searched for this, but apparently "intelligent" would have been a better search word than iISO. (ISO was obviously less than useful.)

7. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    It was from Panasonic Canada, don't remember which one, but it was from one of the links in my Panasonic Training Guides & Resources topic.
    Compared to Olympus where most resources are consolidated, I find getting information about Panasonic cameras too hard. I still have no idea if I am looking in the right places for their information yet.

Panasonic Training Guides & Resources

• Like Like x 1