G80, G6 and GM5 sensor comparison

Macroramphosis

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Roddy
Some of you may know I have been having issues (to my mind at least) with a G80 I recently received as a gift. The camera shop it came from is currently trying to get Panasonic to help, but I've not heard anything for ten days or so. In the meantime, I set up a little experiment this morning outside in good light, on a little tabletop tripod, with the P30mm macro attached to each of the three cameras listed above. The results were interesting to say the least. I took a screenshot of each so you could have a guess at which picture belongs to which camera. All of these were shot in IA, one shot, AFS mode and electronic shutter. I think that was about the fairest I could do it. Of course, the G80 has its newer IS on.

So we have a 2013 G6 up against a GM5 c 2016 vintage, and a G80 from this year.

A
a.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

B
b.png

C
c.png

It was interesting to see how each processor adjusted everything. And as well as having a go at which camera took each photo, tell me on this basis which camera (A, B or C) you would like to take home.

This is just meant for a bit of fun, but it may set my mind at rest too. Should you so desire it I will upload the originals in a subsequent post, complete with EXIF. IA Settings turned out not to be the same for each camera! My overall impression is that Panasonic's 16MP sensor has stood the test of time quite nicely.

Last edited:

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
B is a bit brighter, but I think C for me. In truth, there's not much difference. Mu43 cameras have not improved significantly for good light shooting for a while now. Probably the same is true for most cameras. Most advances have been in AF (not relevant to these shots), high iso (not relevant to these shots), and resolution (again, not relevant to these shots). Maybe a bit more DR, but again . . .

BosseBe

Mu-43 All-Pro
No real difference in A, B and C, except a difference in colour for B, maybe WB is the difference there.
As I have or have had all 3 (G6 sold after I got the G80) I'll take the GM5 (to have a spare) and my guess would be that it is B.

Maybe manual mode for everything would have been a fairer test.

Wasabi Bob

Mu-43 All-Pro
You commented, “The camera shop it came from is currently trying to get Panasonic to help”so I’m curious, what is the problem? Camera evolution introduces new sensors and new processing technology. Even if only to illustrate such changes, one photo is not presenting any valid data to form any preliminary hypothesis. In addition, very few avid photographers use out of camera photos – we always tweak them to some extent. I think I am missing something in your original post – I’m intrigued.

Macroramphosis

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Roddy
Hi Bob,

I have another thread describing the issues i am having, mainly related to focusing. The camera seems to have a couple of other odd habits too, which i am wondering whether it was because it might have been a demo unit that may have been mishandled. The thread is here. Please do feel free to comment there.

This thread was a simple comparison thread, showing one photo of the same subject SOOC (except for a crop) from three different cameras - simply to demonstrate that there seems little difference in Panasonic's 16MP outfit over the years, and between cameras. It was meant as a fun thread, nothing serious. I found it interesting how each processor in each camera handled it IA settings.

Bushboy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Charlie
It a fun thread! And it doesn’t surprise me at all, that nobody can tell the difference between a pic from a G6 and a G85. I think that is funny as anything, especially here, where the camera snobs abound! Lol.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom