G80 focus issues

Macroramphosis

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Roddy
Oh, a thought - does anyone know if the eyepiece available for the G9 (the DMC-EC4GU) fits the G80? Or if there is something similar to it? I have a feeling if I can get my eye 2mm or more further back from the camera than my nose won't touch it at all, and that may solve my gripe with the touchscreen.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Min focus distance from the front of the lens is 10.5mm, for 1:1 reproduction. Very close, lighting problems?

Macroramphosis

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Roddy
Min focus distance from the front of the lens is 10.5mm, for 1:1 reproduction. Very close, lighting problems?
Hi Mike, no - never had lighting problems (as such). And I do shoot close sometimes too, I have to! :) But this post is about focusing issues at far longer distances - if you go back and look at the photos I have posted you'll see....

Last edited:

Henk van Slooten

Mu-43 Rookie
When I saw the photos with the cross, I had to think about front and back focus. Yes it sounds crazy with a mirrorless camera, but the G9 has fine adjustment of the focus. The Nikon Z cameras have it even more extensive. Since I don't read anything about fine-tuning the focus in the G80 manual, I think the sensor-lens setting is not right. Because it is good with the G6, it is due to the camera, which is not properly adjusted.
I may be wrong, but let Panasonic comment on this

panamike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
When I saw the photos with the cross, I had to think about front and back focus. Yes it sounds crazy with a mirrorless camera, but the G9 has fine adjustment of the focus. The Nikon Z cameras have it even more extensive. Since I don't read anything about fine-tuning the focus in the G80 manual, I think the sensor-lens setting is not right. Because it is good with the G6, it is due to the camera, which is not properly adjusted.
I may be wrong, but let Panasonic comment on this
Normally the only cameras to have fine-tune for the focusing are the ones that have phase detect focusing alongside contrast, as it only works on phase detect

Bif

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Bruce Foreman
Lumix UK have come back to the shop and said they see nothing wrong. I still disagree. I simply cannot get the precise focus I want for my macro shots on a consistent basis like I can with my G6. The shop has kindly said I can send the camera back, but I know they will say nothing is wrong with it and they will send it back to me and I will end up paying an additional £100 or so in insured postal charges for the pleasure of doing so. What would you do?

My apologies for the continued boredom of my displeasure. I must sound like a right old fart. Sigh.
Let me offer a bit of potential insight. The shape of the G6 and the G80 are slightly different. This and a possible difference in the amount of pressure it takes to fully press the shutter on the two can cause slightly different torque in trying to maintain camera position. The movement may not cause camera motion blur (or may) but easily could be enough to shift the camera a bit. In a macro situation your depth of field is so shallow the slightest shift can move the point of focus a pinpoint or so.

I do most of my attempts at macro using and adapted Nikon F Micro Nikkor (1960's vintage) with extension ring that came with it. Gets me down to 1:1 magnification ratio. This is purely manual focus and manual aperture. You seem to be getting good results with autofocus as I see it in you pictures posted. So I feel there is a strong possibility you are experiencing a slight shift while pressing the shutter button.

If you are using the default shutter half press for autofocus the pause after focus lock and shutter release may be setting you up for camera shift while pressing the release all the way to take the picture. So I suggest configuring for back button autofocus. The way I have mine is the AF/AE lock button is set for autofocus and it does ONE single AF operation and the camera is then set to MF until you press the AF/AE button again to clear it back to default.

So do the one press to get AF lock, then move the camera in and out ever so slightly until you see the focus you want, and hold steady while you gently press the shutter release for the shot.

Macroramphosis

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Roddy
Hi @Bif, almost all of my shots with the G80 have been with back focus, and probably 50% of them with manual focus too. Manual focus with peaking is very much my preferred method of doing macro. Whatever focus method I use does not seem to make much difference to the final result, unfortunately. I do find the Focus Peaking very faint on this camera, far weaker than the Focus Peaking on the G6. And to be blunt, it never seems to show any colour at all in the centre Focus Box when I use it. Even rocking through the plane of focus with a slow burst rarely produces a clean image, despite high shutter speeds.

I'm not sure I'm producing any different amount of torque when using the shutter release either, I'm fairly subtle on it having been brought up in the film era without stabilisation.

I'm still convinced the camera has a fault. The stabilisation seems to do absolutely nothing, and I do not find the camera responsive at all when shooting. It seems so slow. I've put it back in its box for now and just hope the shop will get back to me and offer a replacement.

Macroramphosis

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Roddy
Well, some good news - the shop has offered a refund or replacement, so my G80 has gone back to the UK and we will see what happens. They seem to think there may be a fault (they've seen the photos I posted here) so hopefully it will all end well. :)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom