G80 focus issues

Macroramphosis

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Roddy
I received a wonderful present from my sister yesterday - a G80 came through the postbox - a rather belated BD gift. Yes, I'm a lucky man. I know :)

However, after 36 hours I am still trying to work out the best focus arrangements for it. I have it currently on the mechanical shutter (very nice it is too), single spot focus, single shot, no shutter delay, IBIS on, and so on. Unfortunately a great many of my shots are definitively not in focus. I can't seem to get the same results as with my G6, for example. I've tried a variety of lenses and settings, but it always seem to me as though the shutter is taking the photo by a significant delayed margin after I have pressed the shutter button - enough for example (and you know how I like my macro) for an insect on a plant to have moved an 1/8 inch in the interim before the image appears on the LCD for review.

The autofocus itself is much improved in speed over the G6 and there are lots of other goodies that look fun and better, but I'm concerned that I am not leaping up and down in the 'image improvement' stakes. Am I doing something wrong? Have I missed a setting somewhere? The image looks perfectly in focus when I press the shutter button, but 9 times out of ten it is distinctly fuzzy upon review. And by that I mean it would be fine for a phone image, and they're okay for social media, but there is no way they stand up to scrutiny or cropping. And I hate to say it, even the bits that ARE in focus don't seem as sharp as they should. Am I suffering from a dose of expectata nonfufillus lumixus?

Like all men, I have not yet read the manual of course, so RTFM is an answer I fully expect **cough**.

I'll post some images if needed....I'm just hoping for a quick answer though, perhaps like - "You idiot, have you not yet pushed button E in menu 14, subsection 52...?"

Macroramphosis

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Roddy
Have you tried E shutter (obviously not with flash) to rule out shutter shock, can you set the IS to suit the FL, i have a G80 but not to hand.
Yes, E shutter did have the same effect, but I'm happier now than I was. I might have been hoping for too much, I think, and although the G80 is a wonderful camera, it still seems to suffer the same problems of low light and high ISO noise that the G6 did - and most other G series cameras do as well, I suspect.

I also had a sght problem with ISO Limits. I had set it at 400 for any Auto ISO settings and for some reason the camera carried on shooting up to whatever it needed. A battery switch-out solved that problem. I have no idea what sort of camera I was sent - whether it was new or not, I mean. The box was not sealed but sellotaped shut, and there was no screen protector film on the LCD so I am suspecting it is an ex-demo model. It has a shutter count of nearly a 1000, too. But no biggie - I will work round any issues. One cannot look a gift camera in the sensor. **cough**

I've managed to start to get some decent macro shots out if it, so much happier. Operator error I suspect - perhaps I was shaking too much with excitement LOL

One thing I have noticed though, which is a great bonus, is that the improved sensor, processor and stabilisation of the G80 have all turned my P14-140 mki into a news lens, almost. The G80 has seriously improved it no end. I'm slightly amazed.....

Thanks for the help, Mike, much appreciated...

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
What happens when you use a shutter delay and tripod mount the camera? Have you tried the Panasonic app to release the shutter when the camera is mounted on a tripod? Is your finger pressure torquing the camera on release?

Macroramphosis

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Roddy
What happens when you use a shutter delay and tripod mount the camera? Have you tried the Panasonic app to release the shutter when the camera is mounted on a tripod? Is your finger pressure torquing the camera on release?
No - haven't tried either of those options, Mike, but I am sure the fault was mine yesterday. When the rain stops I shall give the tripod option a go and come back to you if there is an issue. Not sure I am causing torque on the shutter - I'm more a finesse sort of fella.... :)

Bif

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Bruce Foreman
One thing to watch out for: A lot of folks will half press for autofocus, hesitate briefly, and lean back a tad before fully pressing the shutter release. This is often a subconscious thing. And I've occasionally caught myself doing this.

I also suggest not using auto modes, that way nothing shifts on you. Set the ISO where you want it, set shutter and aperture (use CONSTANT PREVIEW set to ON - shows what your exposure really looks like), manual focus quickly and rock in or out slightly to adjust focus, and press shutter in a steady motion. That might help.

Everything is somewhat critical in doing macro.

The G80/G85 is a superb camera!

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
With my G85 I always blip the target twice. If I just click once on the target it is often out of focus.
The auto focus is my biggest problem with the whole system.
I always use the smallest focus box size. I have also found the pin point focus for me hunts too much, so do not use it now.

Stanga

Mu-43 Top Veteran
You could use back button focus and switch off the focus function on the shutter button to sort out any focus drift.

panamike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I also find the pinpoint focus too finicky and go for a small box and AFC, you don't mention flash which i use, i use focus priority because if i didn't and rocked too much or the breeze moved the subject i would get too many OOF.

This is what i get with the G80

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
P1000731 by electric.mike, on Flickr

P1000733 by electric.mike, on Flickr

P1010066 by electric.mike, on Flickr

Going smaller this pollen beetle is only 2-3mm long

P1010094 by electric.mike, on Flickr

This is an example of breeze moving the subject, not too bad with this one but the focus is a bit forward to what i wanted

P1010095 by electric.mike, on Flickr

Macroramphosis

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Roddy
I'm still very disappointed with the G80 focusing. I am having dreadful issues, not matter what I try; mechanical or electrical shutter, AFS or AFC (which I typically never use). Below are some images that might illustrate the problems. These are the middle frames of a medium burst taken with the camera in two hands, elbows braced on my knees, small focus box (not pinpoint), Focus Priority and mechanical shutter (which I always shoot as I like the photos that are often caught with an insect in flight. The Focus Touchpad was off for these images, so the focus point for each one is the centre of the frame. Shutter speed is down (for me) at 640. But I've shot flying insects with that speed before with no issues.

P1020013.JPG
P1020014.JPG
P1020015.JPG

I have never used a tripod nor flash for my macro, and felt very happy with the images I was getting out of my old G6 (examples of which I have often posted here) - I feel as if I have gone back five years to a cheap point and shoot and from the 2000 or so images I took this weekend I have about one decent photo - It's bizarre.

I also cannot use the Focus TouchPad. No matter what I do it slides to the left instantly, in both Exact and Offset. I barely have to raise the camera to my eye and it's gone. My nose is not that big, and I NEVER had an issue with the G6. And once the box is there on the left, I cannot slide it back. I used to be able to alter the position of the yellow box with the LCD on my G6 without the camera to my eye, but with the G80 it appears that I can only do that through the viewfinder as it does not even appear on my screen. I've shot almost all of the images from this weekend with the TouchPad off, recomposing as needed.

In all other respects the G80 is lovely. I cannot fault it for anything else (though I have had it freeze once which needed a battery reset). Any advice anyone has would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

Macroramphosis

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Roddy
I lie - the three frames above were perhaps not shot in burst. I think I'd gone to Single Shot as I was thinking the camera was suffering from shutter shock in burst mode - hence the slightly different focal lengths. I also tried some photos with my Sigma 60 with a Raynox attached, with the same results, so I am pretty sure it is not the lens.

Oh - thank you to all of you who have replied for your advice so far...... :D

Last edited:

panamike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
To me it looks like a combination of the focus point in the wrong place and not enough DOF, a crop from your f4.5 image

I know we are talking to someone who has experience and developed way of working but from my position, i would not have tried to get that at F4.5 i would want F8 or 11

Macroramphosis

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Roddy
Hi Mike, I'm all ears to suggestions so your's is very welcome. I'm not sure in this case that f8 -f11 would have worked with that light. I hate to go much above ISO 400 with any mu4/3 body - the noise is terrible, the G80 being no different to the G6 in this regard as far as I can see.

And my other question, the focus point is the centre of those pictures. I did not have it anywhere else, which leads me to ask, what part of the photo did the processor think was in focus enough to let the Focus Priority work? I mean, nothing is crisply focused in that photo as I know the Panny 30mm typically produces. I understand the newer sensor, and newer processor may 'do' things differently, but I did not expect this much of a learning curve! Phew!

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
For close up I use either F8 or F11, always F11 if enough light and never above ISO 800 for close ups.

By the look of those photos I would not rule out a problem with either the camera or lens.
Possibly pull right back and take a series coming closer and closer

panamike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
For close up I use either F8 or F11, always F11 if enough light and never above ISO 800 for close ups.

By the look of those photos I would not rule out a problem with either the camera or lens.
Possibly pull right back and take a series coming closer and closer
Good idea for a test but maybe not a living subject.

I have difficulty in keeping steady so with any camera doing macro i get shots that miss the correct focus spot.

gcogger

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Graeme
And my other question, the focus point is the centre of those pictures. I did not have it anywhere else, which leads me to ask, what part of the photo did the processor think was in focus enough to let the Focus Priority work? I mean, nothing is crisply focused in that photo as I know the Panny 30mm typically produces.
To me it looks like the insect's leg (sort of middle bottom of the insect) is nicely in focus, and some parts of the plant that are in the same focal plane.

Bif

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Bruce Foreman
I looked at your pix carefully and magnified them some. I don't see a problem with the focusing other than DOF is RAZOR THIN! To get away from this you may have to use flash to get more light in there. Macro photography of small insects under what light is available in their environment makes everything more critical, especially focus.

But focus point looks to be in the center of the image and the apparent difference in that between the two looks to me like the insect has moved a bit.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom