Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by photoeagle, Feb 4, 2016.

1. photoeagle

photoeagle Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2015
    Brad Harris
    The price point of a G7, has dropped and now is among two mirrorless cameras I'm thinking about. Is the G7 more geared to video instead of stills? How do you like the image quality of your stills?
  2. Estrellas321

Estrellas321 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    What is the other camera? Maybe we can help with a comparison.

Not that the G7 is more geared toward video than stills, but for stills it's the same as the recent technology pre-GX8 - same sensor as GM5 and GX7 if I am not mistaken. But it has 4k photo and post-focus, which only the GH4 had at the time G7 was released.

For video, it's kinda like a GH4 Jr. - but it sounds like you're not all that interested in video. Which is fine, but when you want video, you know you got a great video device on-hand.
  3. photoeagle

photoeagle Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2015
    Brad Harris
    I am also considering an Olympus M 10
  4. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    If you have zero interest in video or tracking focus, get the M10. The build quality between the two is roughly the same. The EVF is better in the G7, but a used M10 should be cheaper since it's been on the market longer. It also has IBIS which is nice for photography.
  5. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    I'm not sure why some people hate the flip out screen so much. I think it's great to have the ability to shoot at any angle, especially low level portrait orientation. To me this is a huge advantage and I can no longer use a camera that can only tilt in one direction. Why limit yourself?

Anyways I am getting off track. G7 is a fantastic camera. It's fast, great IQ, amazing controls and handling. As a stills camera it is top notch, then you add incredible video to it, what's not to like?
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. e_kjellgren

e_kjellgren Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2011
    Also I miss the different C choices on the mode dial that I used to switched between colour and monochrome on the GX7. It's very far away between the A (colour) and C (monochrome) locations on the dial. It doesn't seem possible to assign the Custom profile to another button?
  7. tpitch14

tpitch14 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2010
    I moved to a G7 from a G5 and am very satisfied with the stills- the video is just an added bonus! As mentioned it's not completely new tech in the sensor, but for me I like the post focus and the 4k image extraction capabilities. It is a huge step up for me in bodies, and the ergonomics are just superb. I also am among the camp that loves the fully articulating screen- to me a 'fold out' screen is a turn off, but to each their own...
  8. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    The G7 is has really good ergonomics, more direct controls, better auto-focusing abilities, and the 4K Photo adds a ton of flexibility in getting the perfect shot for action. I also think that the fully-articulated screen is much more versatile, and I am continually frustrated by the single-tilt on my GX7. I find most low- and high- angle shots work better in portrait orientation, which you can do with a fully articulated screen but not tilt. Manual focus aids are also much better on the G7.

...but it's a much bulkier camera than the E-M10, and that camera has very good IBIS which can improve the usability with long telephoto lenses and in low-light conditions, especially with adapted lenses.

Menus and user interface are another factor. Most people seem to find Panasonic menus more intuitive and easier to use, but Olympus has very powerful, deep menu options that some people like once they've had a chance to learn them.

It's really a toss-up!
  9. I recently upgraded from a GH2 to a G7. I couldn't be much happier. The handling of the camera is a big improvement. I always liked the fold out screen, so I don't understand the complaints about that. You could easily program a button to change the memorized configurations. In addition to the physical buttons, there are four "soft" buttons you can program that reside on the display screen - you have to turn them on in the settings to see them. I'm actually finding them very useful for the less frequently required settings. As for the ISO, it is at least 2.5 stops better than the GH2. This really opens up new options for extended depth of field, faster shutter speeds or slower lenses.

I've attached a couple of higher ISO shots for comparison. One directly compares eight shots from ISO 200 to 25600. Yes, you can make 25600 usable - though not perfect. (In the example note that in the 12800 sample I was trying to increase clarity over grain, which is why that sample is grainier than the 25600 sample.) There is also a full screen shot of ISO 25600 out of Lr - not great but OK for small prints. The third shot is more real world. I was shooting a political event and the light was really crappy. I wasn't close enough to effectively use a flash so I went to ISO 6400 - and was still shooting at 1/100. This is the long end of the 14-140, which is not a super sharp lens, but as you can see, this is a very usable image.

The G7 is an outstanding stills camera... and it makes great videos, too! G7 ISO Comparison. ISO 25600 Sample.JPG ISO 6400 Sample.JPG
  10. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Don't be too quick to dismiss the 4K video. Remember that you can use to do some pretty cool 8MP still image features like post focus and infinite 30fps burst.
  11. photoeagle

photoeagle Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2015
    Brad Harris
    Thank you for your thoughts. I'm not opposed to having video capabilities, just have not had a camera with that feature.
  12. Taurahe

Taurahe Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2015
    I am a died in the wool DSLR guy...until i got my G7. I played with it for a few weeks and liked it so much I bought a second one. Since I shoot crop sensor anyway, it was not that much of a change for me. High ISO performance is excellent, low ISO IQ is not distinguishable from dslr, and the weight reduction in gear is pretty nice. My kit right now is two g7 bodies, the 14-42 and 45-150 lenses, sigma 19mm 2.8, panny 25 1.7 , an adapted nikon 55 2.8 AIS micro and an adapted 135 2.8 AIS. The lack of IBIS is a non issue to me because I have never had it anyway. Overall the G7 is a stellar kit and camera with a lot of value for the money.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Dave Reynell

Dave Reynell Guest

Interesting to read others impressions of the G7. Whilst I am certain that the performance (given the price) of this camera is excellent, and yes, it does have a marvellous EVF. The build quality leaves something to be desired. My seven-year old G1 (built in Japan) feels a whole lot sturdier.

14. jackalope

jackalope Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 8, 2016
    I had an EM10 because it was on sale at Best Buy for $500 with a 40-150 lens. I returned it and got the G7 for these reasons:
    1) The kit lens's collapsability is really annoying. You have to turn the zoom ring every time you turn on the camera, and then press a button and turn it the other way to collapse it. The Panasonic kit is just as small but doesn't need to extend
    2) The Oly menus are difficult to navigate
    3) The body isn't as ergonomic because it doesn't have the deep grip
    4) Olympus focus peaking sucks
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. tpitch14

tpitch14 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2010
    Definitely subjective- I find the build to be nice and light. Does the polycarbonate body feel different than my previous G5? Sure, but it doesn't cause me to operate the camera with bated breath, treating it with kid gloves due to a perceived fragility... Agree to disagree, I suppose :)
  16. jackalope

jackalope Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 8, 2016
    To me the G7 feels much more solid than my Sony A77... The controls have nice tactile feedback and the grip is shaped very ergonomically. I don't use a strap because I don't feel like I'm going to drop it. With the Olympus the first thing I did was put a wrist strap on it because the grip is so shallow

The deep grip and non-collapsable lens makes the G7 usable 1 handed
  17. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    Personally, I'd prefer a quality plastic over a magnesium alloy body, because some magnesium alloys are actually pretty brittle.
  18. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    I think you're misusing the term 'build quality' to mean 'my own personal prejudice against lightweight polycarbonate' :) If the build quality left something to be desired we'd be hearing about lots of broken or faulty G7s...
    • Like Like x 1
  19. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    I own several M4/3 bodies and just received the G7 yesterday. As for feel, I do like the EM10- it just feels sturdy and better built- but having said that- the G7 is incredibly comfortable to hold and although "plasticky" at the current sub $600 price-point with lens, it's a very fair deal. The main difference is usability of which the Olympus' IBIS is just unbeatable- but then it has "average" video quality whereas the G7 is a king in the realm of video........you sort of have to weigh which features you place the greatest importance on and select from that criteria.
    (On a side note- if Panasonic decided to equip their m4/3 cams with IBIS it would be game over for Oly!)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. CyVan

CyVan Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2016
    I believe they call that model the GX8 :p. Though the Oly implementation is much more effective by all accounts.

But yeah I agree, I had a G7 for about a month before I got the GX8 and I have to say the low weight plus ergonomics made it feel like it was molded to my hand. The GX8 feels more dense and substantial but there's something to be said about the ease of walking around with the G7. With a small prime and a wrist strap I'd almost forget I was holding it.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2016