G7 still good?

Lieven

Mu-43 Regular
I can get a brand new G7 with 12-60 f3.5-5.6 for 500 euro from a physical shop. I don't Need another camera body, but as my old 12-60 died a couple of months ago am eying the lens. Would you still buy a G7 or is it old tech by now? I am currently using a GH3 and EM5-1. Or should I get a used 12-40 Pro for 100 euro more?

Last edited:

JanW

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jan
If you don't need a camera body buy the 12-40 or even better the 12-60 2.8-4
Then you can also use it on the gh3.
A better lens will improve IQ more than the newer camera which is still 16mp. 12-60 has very good IS, I have rented one to use on my G5 and was impressed.

tkbslc

Super Moderator
G7 is fine, but it doesn't offer any upgrades over what you are currently using in terms of photo quality. G7 is an entry level and your GH3 is a pro model. They are using similar sensor tech.

12-60 f5.6 is only $200 on ebay split from new camera kits. So if you just want the lens, no need to buy another camera.

ooheadsoo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Your 12-60 shots really amazed me, and I'm very sorry to hear that it died. It is in fact your photos that prevent me from selling my 12-60 and give me reason to pause and consider going out with it instead of a much bigger zoom.

So get a faster lens if you must, but I know you will take amazing travel photos, no matter the lens. I do think the 12-40 is a bit sharper and perhaps focuses closer, but sacrifices size and weight. I'm not sure your travel shots, as posted in the 12-60 showcase, would benefit significantly. The differences are not really visible at typical viewing distances. As for the body, I agree with the others. I don't think there's a worthwhile upgrade in the $500 usd ballpark.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom