G7 RAW size

Marrio

New to Mu-43
Real Name
Dave Marriott
Hi, I'm new to the site having just brought a G7. It may be me but:- JPEG's are approx 16 Mpix but RAW's seem to be approx 4 Mpix. Am I missing something.

alan1972

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Alan Grant
How are you viewing the raw files? You might be looking at a lower resolution jpg embedded in the raw file, rather than a conversion of the raw data itself, depending on the software you are using.

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
if you're meaning megapixels and not megabytes then you're probably just pulling the embedded JPG out of the RAW file instead of properly demosaicing the file. RAW files embed a JPG (often half size) into the RAW so that the camera can actually preview it ... it doesn't convert each time you wish to view it on the rear screen :)

as @alan1972 asks, how are you converting the raw or are you just viewing them in something like Irfanview or (Mac) Finder? Those tools only look at the embedded JPG as does the camera.

Marrio

New to Mu-43
Real Name
Dave Marriott
Thanks guys, I was using faststone to review the images in the first instance. The exif data of a RW2 said the file was 1920 x1440. I looked in photoshop & it said 4592 x 3448,so I guess that faststone was only looking at the embedded Jpeg. Lesson learned.

Latest threads

Top Bottom