G7 Photo Size (RAW) Problem in Windows

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by vrojt, Apr 11, 2016.

1. vrojt

vrojt Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 6, 2016
    Hello guys, i have a bit of a problem. I have an Panasonic G7 camera, and my pictures show all different image sizes depending on programs. My Faststone Image Viewer shows 1920x1440 in fullscreen as size, but when i go to the file browser / image viewer in Faststone, the miniature with size shows 2304x1732 and the miniature has a purple tint to it (not present in the image normally), but when i import the image into Lightroom it shows 4272x2848 (which i think is the real size).. Is there any way to fix it, or is my camera too new so some programs might misread it and show a different size, or is it the camera's problem? Thank you.

edit: I hope this is a good forum to post, if not, please move it. Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Many photo viewers, like Fastone, are not RAW converters. So to display RAW files, and do it quickly, they just show you the embedded preview JPEG inside the RAW file. This preview JPEG is often low resolution, so your 1920x1440 sounds about right.

The fact that they work fine in Lightroom confirms that your files are fine and there is nothing to worry about. It is just a difference in how certain viewers handle RAW.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. vrojt

vrojt Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 6, 2016
    Thank you very much,
    I thought i had some setting wrong in my camera and that it was shooting small pictures, or something like that.

One weird thing though is that if i open some of my old RAW files from my Canon camera (1100D/T3), the size shows properly.

4. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    The embedded JPEG may have a different size than the raw image. For example, my EM-10 raw files have an embedded JPEG sized at 3200x2400 while the actual image size is 4608x3456. All my old Nikons had embedded JPEGs which were the same size as the raw image. I am guessing that this is what you are seeing with your Panasonic vs the older Canons.