G7 or (say it quietly) Nikon?

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by Heaven's Light, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Heaven's Light

Heaven's Light New to Mu-43

Oct 28, 2012
    Portsmouth UK
    Hi guys

Asked some advice a while back and ended up going for an EM1 and 12-40. But I had the same issue I had with an EM5 and that was that I just couldn't hold it comfortably (guess I'm just not made for Olympus cams). I was happy with the ergos of the G6 I had for a while so I planned to buy the new G7. Tried it out and it's pretty nice and my plan was to add the 7-14mm and the 12-35mm to go with the 14-140ii I already have. But then I let the sales guy talk me into holding the Nikon D5500 and . . . . it's nice. Size is similar to the G7 and while the lenses are heavier they're also cheaper (I could save around £400-£500 by going the APSC route). My question is would I see an appreciable improvement in IQ by going for the Nikon and saving myself a healthy amount of cash or is the G7 sensor so good the difference would be negligible?

I know replies are likely to favour M43 as it's an M43 forum but you guys seem a bit more balanced than some of the posters I've read on Nikon forums ;-)
  2. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    They are both the right shape for you and both have very competent modern sensors.
    In my opinion the RAW IQ would be similar while the G7 body has some more advanced features and video, the Nikon may allow good use of older cheaper AF lenses.
    There is no clear answer.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    From what I've READ, the D5500 will give you an appreciable benefit in low light vs m4/3s. Not huge, but real, and would also be a better choice for action shooting. Beyond that I think it is mostly preference and pixel peeping.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. pwjp2011

pwjp2011 New to Mu-43

Nov 9, 2014
    I have a Canon T2i (550D) which I think is about the same size as the D5500. I have been going through the same exercise. Realize though that the body may be smaller but the lenses are not. If you go down to lower f-stop style lens say like f2 the lens will be huge compared to anything on the m43. The big advantage of m43 was/is the size. I have noticed a trend of the bodies increasing in size. Some of them are getting into DSLR territory. If the m43 cameras get to DSLR size and Canon/Nikon keep improving the DSLR live view its going to get very interesting.
  5. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    I had the D7100 before getting the E-M10. I actually don't notice any real difference in high ISO between the two (up to 6400). I had a D5000 before that but just cant live without dual dials now. I have noticed a better keeper rate with the m43 system be that I just nail the exposure better due to EVF and sharpness seems to have improved over even my Sigma 18-35mm F1.8. If you want better IQ you should look at the FF line up I think. They are all nice cams at the end of the day.
  6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'd be curious to know which lenses from Nikon you are comparing. I'm suspect that Nikon would be that much cheaper if you are comparing like-for-like lenses.
  7. Yong

Yong Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2014
    Once I was in the Nikon system for the reason you stated. I thought that I could have better IQ if I go to DSLR with bigger sensor.
    After awhile, I returned to M4/3 system. So now I have some photos from Nikon DSLR and Olympus M4/3 camera.

I brought two examples for your IQ concerns. One taken with D5300+DX 35mm f/1.8 lens and another one taken with E-P5+25mm f/1.8 lens. Although they taken with exactly same settings(I didn't have any gear test intention when I was taking them anyway), You can compare them.
    Same FOV, same place, same framing, same cropping out of the images.

Can you tell which one is from which camera?

8. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Get a G7 if you want to save weight. The 16mp sensor in the G7 is good enough to for general shooting. As long as you don't plan to shoot lots of fast action, I'd go M43. I shoot both Nikon and M43 as well, but I appreciate the size advantage of the smaller M43 bodies/lenses.
  9. tkbslc

Regarding the "Action" qualifiers, the D5000 series are definitely not pro sports cams, and the G7 has 30fps 4K burst and DFD. I'm not that confident that Nikon wins this battle until you get into some pretty expensive and large cameras.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I still prefer focus tracking with an optical viewfinder, especially in continuous focus. I photograph my kids everyday, and I've yet to find a mirrorless camera that can track their small and quick movements as well a DSLR.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    I have Nikon and a G5. Whenever I try to decide which to keep I can never decide and just keep them both. The reality is the image quality is not the difference. It's features and handling.

I would pick the one that bothers you the least. If you're heavy in to action shots get a DSLR. If you're more into movies and travel, shooting things that don't move around pick mirrorless.

I love the DSLR with a fast prime, it's amazingly quick and responsive and some of the Nikon lenses are just amazing. No lag whatsoever is pretty nice sometimes. I like the G5 to carry around, especially for movies and with long zooms. I use the 45-175mm the most, it's so tiny. Compared to my old Nikon 70-300mm VR, which is considered a "small" zoom lens, there's no contest I'll take the Panasonic.

You can't go wrong with either just carefully consider how you'll use it first.
  12. tkbslc

For single shots, probably. But when you can extract unlimited 8MP frames out of video, I don't know anymore!
  13. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    At this rate, in the next 10 years we'll just be recording videos and not taking photos! Lol
  14. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    ...and there'll be a scientifically determined algorithm to detect the cutest and most aesthetically pleasing frames to extract so that you don't need to.
  15. tkbslc

We will just deploy our Lytro drones that zip around the party shooting 60 fps 8k video from all angles and with infinitely adjustable DOF. 5 minutes after you stop recording, everyone gets a link to download the best automatically selected and auto-edited 100 photos and a 2 minute video highlight reel directly from the cloud.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Sounds wonderful.
  17. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    "Rumor has it next they'll be dehydrating sex,"

"Well, that's the day I'll tell the coach I'm through!"

From an old air force song..."I Wanted Wings (Till I Got The Dadgummed Things)"
    ...Sung by Oscar Brand...
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  18. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    As others have said, AF tracking it better in the Nikon. Single point AF probably favors the Nikon in low light, otherwise probably equal. The E-M1 AF system has more AF points that are spread across the frame, Nikon's are limited to 39 point more centered, similar to the phase points on the E-M1.

As to older / cheaper AF lenses. The D5500 series (and all D5#00 / D3#00 / ..) do NOT have the a built in drive motor for older AF-D lenses, they will only auto focus with AF-S (S = silent wave motor) lenses. And not peaking for manual focus.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    According to dpreview, you guys are wrong. This is from their review of the G7.

On top of this, the G7 offers some of the best tracking AF we've seen on any camera (DSLR or mirrorless) in this class. The full capability of this system is only available when you use Panasonic's own lenses, which puts more limits on your choices than necessary, but between this and the 4K Photo mode, it means the G7 offers a lot of support to help you grab the shot you want.

You can read the review for yourself here:

The Nikon may have other advantages, but I would not bet on it having better tracking AF. I'm also surprised to hear that Nikon lenses are cheaper. I have found m43 lenses cheaper than the Canon lenses I used to buy. Except the nifty fifty.
  20. jyndi

jyndi Mu-43 Rookie

May 7, 2015
    I have a Nikon d7000; I rejected the d5* series because of the above mentioned issues with older nikon lens AF on the d3* and d5* lines. I do like my Nikon, but... The size and weight of nikon lenses goes up much much faster compared to mft lenses. My 60mm f2.8 micro nikkor is 3x the size/weight of my 45mm f1.8 oly for instance. So without a clear reason to choose the Nikon, I would suggest the mft option.