1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G7 or EM1

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Heaven's Light, May 26, 2015.

1. Heaven's Light

Heaven's Light New to Mu-43

Oct 28, 2012
    Portsmouth UK
    Hi, new poster. I've fairly recently dipped my toes back into the M43 world (previously had an EM5 but just couldn't get comfortable with it even with the grip) with a G6 and 14-140ii as a travel/ walkabout set up along with the Oly 9-18. Pretty happy with the weight and portability but wondering if there's the possibility of improving image quality by upgrading to either the G7 when it's released or the EM1. I'm a stills shooter only so video is of no interest to me. I hear the IQ of the GX7 sensor is an improvement on the G6 and that the EM1 seems to be rated as the best M43 body currently available. I like the ergonomics of the G6 so assume the G7 will be fine in my hand and have tried the EM1 and that feels way better than the EM5 did to me. I like aspects of both cameras (silent/ electronic shutter on the Pana and the IBIS on the Oly).

Any thoughts on which one might suit my needs best? Or do I just have money burning a hole in my pocket and should I stick with the G6?

2. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Australia
    William
    I'd go for the E-M1 in your situation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    What exactly was it about the EM5 you couldn't get comfortable with (even with the grip)?

4. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    IMO the G7 sensor will be better but not day and night. You get a better EVF, flash, DFD AF, etc. Wait for a couple of reviews and tests.
    Raw IQ for E-M5 and E-M1 is the same.

5. Heaven's Light

Oct 28, 2012
    Portsmouth UK
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I just couldn't hold the EM5 comfortably no matter what I did. The lugs always seemed to dig into my hands.

One thing - I have read some reports of shutter shock issues when using the Panasonic 14-140ii on the EM1. Is this exaggerated or is it a genuine issue?

6. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Olympus cameras in general have poor strap lug placements. It's something that either will bug you enough to be a deal breaker or end up getting used to and for some, something that doesn't bother them at all and is a non-issue.

As for shutter shock, the EM1 is affected with it but seems to be, IME, pretty random. Later firmware seems to have addressed it to some degree but is not totally absent. The EM5 reportedly did not have an issue although I never owned one and can't say for sure. So far with the EM5 II, I haven't noticed any shutter shock issues.

If what bothers you is the physical form factor, the only suggestion would be to go to a dealer and try one out.

7. Heaven's Light

Oct 28, 2012
    Portsmouth UK
    Thanks for the advice all. I went with the EM1. Found one online with the 12-40 for £1,000.00 which is a really good price. It's on its way to me now

• Like Like x 1
  8. BLX

BLX Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2012
    Denmark
    Morten
    Congrats - I'm sure you'll love that combo :)

9. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yo - someone who understands the difference between "it's" and "its"!

Enjoy your new E-M1 too - great camera.

• Like Like x 1