G7 New Standard for Event Photography?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Boatman, Feb 9, 2016.

1. I've been going to the various political meetings that have been happening throughout New Hampshire and taking still photographs. The venues are loaded with big TV cameras and people hauling their huge Canon and Nikon DSLRs around for still shots. So here I am, not a professional and not carrying either a Nikon or Canon DSLR. But, the G7 has some advantages:
    - It's small and easy to hold (over your head) for long periods
    - The fold out screen is ideal for framing when your camera needs to be as high as possible to get over all the people holding cell phones over their heads.
    - The face/eye detection nails the focus most of the time - it does get confused at times with the faces in the background.
    I don't have any way to review the work these other photographers did, but I doubt it is much better than what I could get with the $650 G7.

I used a flash at this event. Ambient light would have required an ISO of 6400 to get reasonable shutter speeds and I know that at that ISO is there a significant loss of detail. I used a Yongnuo YN560III at about 1/4 output and all manual settings on the camera (except focus). ISO was at 800 for the entire night. In the image below, Hillary Video Clip, that's my flash poking up into the field of view.

I did see one person with a Sony A7. Yea, I would not have minded having that camera.
    Hillary Video Clip.JPG Hillary Still.JPG
  2. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    when I did event gigs I avoided flash because it always gave that "look" of spotlighting.

It looks quite unnatural.

Back in 2009 I did this conference coverage with a G1 and just ambient light.
    Search: igelu09 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

as they say, one flash and you're ash
  3. Listener

Listener Mu-43 Regular

I got several chuckles from your post. The eyes are fine and the bit of red tongue completes the expression.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    thanks, I try to inform as well as entertain ;-)
  5. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Now that the AP only allows SOOC JPEGs, 4k stills capture/extraction (I can't remember the marketing speak name) seems like a great way of getting good shots. So maybe the G7 is the new standard.
  6. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Hi, do these venues/events have any restrictions on lens size or FL, for non-press members?
  7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    I find Panasonic Jpeg skin tones a bit less pleasant than Olympus,
    so would suggest a well-stabilised Olympus and no flash myself.
    In the OP's exact case a 12-bore in the hotshoe would have been even better.
  8. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I did until the GX7 era sensors. Now I think Panasonic is as good as Canon or Olympus. Maybe better.

That's all subjective, of course.
  9. Pellicle - that is a CLASSIC deer in the headlights shot. That should be on some kind of poster! As for flash or no flash in event photography, I don't believe in hard rules. If the venue won't allow flash, you can't use it. If they do and the light is really bad, you should use it. It's a case by case call. In any regard, I've found that if you underexpose as little as you can get away with and then use a reduced output flash, the results are very acceptable. In this case, if I hadn't said that I used flash, would you know?