1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

G7 - Is there a way to choose slower shutter speed instead of high ISO?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by memzinla, Oct 3, 2015.

1. memzinla

memzinla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I just bought the G7, and so far it's been good. The camera feels faster than the E-M5 when it comes to menu, turning it on, etc. The only thing that bugs me is not having IBIS. The camera chooses a high ISO instead of a slower shutter speed. Is there a way I can let the camera choose a slower shutter speed? I think the LX100 did that.

Do I have to stay in shutter speed mode?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Can you turn off auto ISO and shoot in Aperture priority? If it is that dark, set your ISO to what you are comfortable with, and open your lens as wide as you are comfortable with, then let the camera pick your shutter speeds.

--Ken

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    The easiest way to control this on the OM-Ds is, unintuitively, with the Flash Sync settings... Maybe there's a similar setting?

Barry

4. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Good question, I'd like to know for my GM5 as well.

5. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Shutter priority with auto ISO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. kauphymug

kauphymug Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    Cowford, Florida
    Set maximum limit iso on the menu to what ever you want I think the lowest you can set for automatic exposure is iso 400. That will in turn slow the shutter if you have reached minimum aperture.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  7. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    pity there's no quick way to set maximum ISO. Would be good to see camera manufacturer's have a button to quickly change this

8. kauphymug

kauphymug Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    Cowford, Florida
    There is a quick way. Turn on extended iso, (which I leave on all the time) hit iso rocker button use wheel behind on/off switch to select iso. This will over ride the maximum set iso and also allow you to select any down to iso 125.

If you set one of your Fn buttons for iso convenient to thumb like Fn 1 you don't have to take camera away from eye. You will have to turn off extended iso to regain auto iso exposure.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  9. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Isn't that just changing your ISO? By easy access to changing maximum ISO, the camera can still pick ISO's below that max ISO.

10. kauphymug

kauphymug Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    Cowford, Florida
    True you aren't selecting max iso for automatic iso selection. If iso is important to the shot considering conditions I don't depend on the camera making the selection for me by using auto max mode. I want to shoot as low iso as possible while hand held to get the shot. The camera in fully program mode, will select shutter, aperture and iso and has been programmed to yield whatever.

Part of my problem is being old school manual. Film to a certain extent without being pushed was for 36 shots what ever iso was on the film canister. A hand held light meter told you what combinations of shutter and aperture would result in a suitable shot. I found I want to make a lot of the decisions and not leave it up to automation that's why I will many times use manual mode on the GH3 and GX7.

11. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    To the OP, turn off Auto ISO.

The question on how easy is it to adjust the max ISO when in Auto ISO - trivially easy on the G7. Hit the rocker ISO button. The forward dial (surrounding the shutter release) controls max ISO limit. The aft dial controls the exact ISO or Auto mode.

12. carlosfm

carlosfm Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 3, 2015
    Lisbon, Portugal
    To the OP: I feel your pain.
    With my G1 I shoot in aperture priority mode, with manual focus adapted lenses (Canon FD).
    The camera doesn't know what aperture I have dialed on the lens, of course.
    I have auto ISO configured up to ISO 800 and I find myself shooting at ISO 100, at 1/30s.
    i would love to be able to tell the camera to raise the ISO setting automatically when the speed goes under 1/60s, or even 1/125s.
    Some cameras have that configuration, but probably none in the u4/3 system.

13. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    That's a bit surprising.

On my GX1 with adapted lenses in aperture priority, it almost always wants to keep the SS at 1/125s or higher, and so when I'm using wider angles (like my 7.5FE) that could easily be shot at 1/30s or even slower, my ISO is 2 stops higher than it should be.

The obvious solution is a camera with auto-ISO in M mode and then just set the shutter speed you want. But I think only the GM5, GH4, G7, and GX8 currently have that feature on Panasonic cameras.

14. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    The E-M1 is good at keeping shutter speeds higher (even with legacy lenses)... for example, with IS set to 135mm, it will raise ISO to keep the shutter at least 1/200.

The min shutter speed can even be raised a bit (up to 1/320 iirc) by raising the slow flash sync setting.

Barry

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  15. jackalope

jackalope Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 8, 2016
    The easiest method is to use manual with auto ISO. That way you can turn down the shutter speed if you need to

• Agree Agree x 1