1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G7 / GX8 Firmware Changes for Shutter Shock

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Robstar1963, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Hi
    Along with Post Focus the latest Firmware update for the G7 (G70) and GX8 attempts to deal with the known range of shutter shock sensitive shutter speeds
    In the Electronic Shutter menu there is a new setting Auto (along with on and off )
    When set to Auto the camera now applies Electronic Shutter when the shutter speed is within the range associated with Shutter Shock problems
    Furthermore it would seem that the Auto Electronic Shutter setting is 'intelligent' in that it seems to be linked within the firmware to the particular lens attached at the time
    As a result it applies Electronic Shutter only when a lens is attached which is deemed to be affected by shutter shock
    So the 14 - 140mm Mk2 for example will cause the Auto Shutter to select Electronic Shutter between 1/60 and 1/320
    When you go into that range with a relevant lens attached Electronic Shutter is Applied with the 'e' electronic shutter indicator showing in the viewfinder ( or on screen)
    When you go outside of the SS sensitive range the 'e' indicator goes off and the camera reverts to mechanical shutter until such time as you go above the maximum mechanical shutter speed of 1/4000 at which point the Auto Shutter reverts again to ES and allows you to go to 1/8000 or 1/16000 seamlessly (ie without having to press a button to select ES again)
    If you mount a lens which is not associated with SS then the Auto System does not engage the ES at the SS sensitive shutter speeds
    I have tested my G7 after updating to the latest firmware and found that the 14 - 140 Mk2 causes the Auto Shutter to engage as described
    However when mounting the Pana Leica 25mm, 35 - 100 f2.8, Pana 100 - 300mm and Olympus 12 - 40mm for example the Auto Shutter does not engage the ES within the SS range
    You can clearly see the ES engage and disengage and hear the difference between the shutter e and mechanical modes
    It clearly disengages below 1/60 (ie at 1/40) and above 1/320 (ie at 1/400)
    The system also apparently disengages the ES according to lighting conditions (ie when flash is required or under certain artificial lighting where the ES might cause banding
    The Auto system can be overided either way by selecting on or off according to whether you want to override ES or Mechanical shutter being chosen by the Auto system and it would be worthwhile ensuring that you have a button conveniently assigned to ES so that you can choose to override the Auto setting at any given time
    The Auto system saves you from having to remember to manually change from ES to mechanical shutter and vice versa to avoid potential Shutter Shock issues and for me this is a huge and welcome improvement in the management of potential SS on Panasonic cameras
    Not as good as having EFCS like the Olympus system but a great step forward for those using the G7 or GX8
    Regards
    Rob

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    Thanks for the information,
    Does 14-140 II have really bad shutter shock as reviews on web?

3. PJ McKenna

PJ McKenna Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 23, 2015
    PJ McKenna
    How hard would a "proper" (e.g. supports flash) electronic first curtain shutter be to implement?

4. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    It is a bit surprising that Panasonic hasn't implemented an electronic first curtain shutter. It seems doubly odd given that they clearly have all the necessary hardware to do so. Panasonic went from leading Olympus (and many other manufacturers) in this respect, to lagging behind.

I use the e-shutter 90% of the time and there are very few circumstances where I have problems with it (and I know exactly when those circumstances are). But an EFCS would be able to extend that useful range even more.

5. darzur

darzur Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 5, 2015
    Darek
    It's a shame that they didn't released this fix for GX7 and other older cameras. To be honest I'm almost all the time on ES but it will be convenient to have auto especially for flash use.

6. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

I have it from fairly reliable sources that certain design issues prevented EFCS from being used. There was also some concern about Olympus's decision to inserting a "delay" into the capture process. SS was never a big issue for me. I had the opportunity to use the new GX8 firmware and it works just fine. I have not noticed any problems so far. My own personal feeling is that in many cases such issues are simply ammunition for defending each person's brand loyalty. I try to use my camera, enjoy it, and not worry about what might happen.