1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

G7/G85....external flash question

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Bill Smith, Jan 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2017
    Hi Folks,

Newly converted Canon photog to G7/G85...question about external flash firing. Does either body have the ability to use pop up flash as external trigger for flashes or do you need trigger? I just bought Godox Tt350 and now thinking I should have got a trigger as well?

Thanks

2. Scot

Scot Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2017
    The G85 popup flash will act as a commander for certain Panasonic units or third party dedicated flash units, I assume the G7 will too. If you purchased the Panasonic TTL model of the tt350, you should be good.

3. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2017
    Thanks Scott....thats what I thought...will try it again.

4. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2017
    Figured it out!!!!

On flash:

- Hold the SYNC button and rotate the Mode Selection Button until only TTL appears on top left (and nothing further down);

- Press the SET button to select the TTL mode;

- Press the MODE button once to select the M (Manual) mode;

- Press the SLAVE button once and the S1 icon will appear on the right down;

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Scot

Scot Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2017
    Good. I was starting to think I might be wrong...

6. Peter75

Peter75 Mu-43 Regular

Thanks a lot ! Tt350 arrived today and will try It

7. Peter75

Peter75 Mu-43 Regular

I was playing a bit with it and found out that if using 1/8 of the flash power or more the tt350 flashes too late (much darker picture then 1/16 power). Any idea ? I need at least 1/8 power to bounce light from off camera flash. The wireless and control group and stuff does not seem to work.

8. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

You aren't getting wireless E-TTL with that setup. You are just getting pure manual flash. The flash is going off when it sees another flash pop and using whatever manual power setting you have set it to use. So it would make sense that it gets darker when you set the flash to have lower output.

Manual flash is pretty easy to learn with some reading and experimentation. So you could continue down that road. Or if you want wireless auto E-TTL, you could buy a wireless E-TTL transmitter from Godox, or return the flash and buy a Panasonic branded FL-360L and trigger from your pop up flash.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Peter75

Peter75 Mu-43 Regular

No... in manual mode, triggered by my G80 flash, the picture with off camera flash with 1/128 power until 1/16 the picture gets lighter, but from 1/8 to 1/1 it is darker then the 1/16 power shot. It does go off but seems to go off too late.

10. ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock Mu-43 Top Veteran

What is your shutter speed?

11. Peter75

Peter75 Mu-43 Regular

Locked by the camera on 1/60

12. ScottinPollock

Doesn't sound like you're in manual mode. If you were in manual, you should be able to set the shutter speed to anything you prefer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

regardless, that's not a TTL setup. So flash is set to whatever it is, and your camera has no idea what flash is set to. It doesn't sound like you have manual mode set on camera, so it is merely setting exposure based on ambient light.

If the flashes aren't syncing up, the pre-flash from the camera may be triggering the flash to go off so it happens too early. I beleive the Godox has a setting to compensate for that. Or some camera let you do manual flash output from the pop-up which avoids the E-TTL pre-flash. I can't remember if your cameras can do that off hand.

14. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2017
    Or do you mean 1/160th? High Speed Sync needs to be on on the flash and the on the camera flash menu, wireless on, wireless FP on...that way you can now shoot at a higher shutter speed.

15. Peter75

Peter75 Mu-43 Regular

Camera was in A, or P but in any case f2.8 1/60, fixed iso. Off camera flash in manual mode, up until 1/128 -> 1/16 flash power the image gets lighter, just changing the flash power output each shot. From 1/8 power onwards the image gets darker, about the same when there was no flash at all. But I see the off camera flash going off. Maybe it is the 1/60 on the camera which is going out of sync, because that one was staying the same. Maybe the 1/60 should be adjusted to catch the light.

16. ScottinPollock

Put the camera in M, set iso to any value other than auto, then set the in camera flash: Firing mode to Manual; Flash mode to Forced flash on; Manual flash adjust to 1/128.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.