1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G7 - Fun While it Lasted

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by ThomD, Aug 12, 2015.

1. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    After just 5 weeks, my G7 went into the shop. The front dial stopped clicking, rotating freely. I sent if off to the Texas repair facility, but I've gotten the impression that their communication is poor. I don't expect to be contacted to acknowledge they have the camera or to get an estimate of repair time. Based on more than a few unhappy reports on the web, I figure I'll get the camera back by Halloween. I'm glad I still have the G6.

2. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    Not good news.

3. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    It died on the last day of vacation, so it could have been worse.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mwing

Mwing Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2014
    mine exchanged once for the fading serial number

5. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Wow, I'm surprised to hear this from a Panasonic camera. About the only complaint I've ever heard about a Panasonic camera was the loose LCD hinge on the GH3. They typically don't have many issues with their lenses either, the biggest one I know of being the 12-32 where the thin outer shell can come off due to a poor adhesive being used during manufacturing.

Contrast this to Olympus, where I've seen numerous complaints about burning EVFs, Mode dials falling off, adjustment wheels not working, d-pad buttons quit functioning, etc.

Hopefully Panasonic isn't following in Olympus' footsteps, as build quality has always been stellar for Panasonic.

6. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    I've had a string of Panasonic cameras, so I'm not too worried about the long term reliability. I'm just annoyed that sending it in for repair is like dropping it down a hole. Eventually it will magically show up at my door, but until then - nothing.

7. mpg01

mpg01 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    Does Panasonic source repairs to Precision Camera? If so, I've had mixed experience as far as repair duration goes but everything I sent in came back nicely repaired.

8. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Panasonic Customer Service said to send it to the Texas facility, so I did. My G6 is still going strong, so I'm not out of options. I need to keep away from the GX8 in the interim.

9. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    I sent my GH3 in to fix the LCD hinge. By the time the Texas repair facility acknowledged receipt of the camera it arrived at my door - about three weeks total. I knew they received the camera via UPS tracking.

10. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    I had to send a lens there for repair earlier this year. I started calling them in the 2nd week to get a time frame for repair. They will tell you where it is in the process, and were very happy to do it. I don't know why they can't put the same info on their website so we could get it without a phone call.

11. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

It's a shame that people only post the negative incidents. I've had very good service from them.

12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The problem is that people don't ask for advice when things go well.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Well, color me shocked. I just got a call from the Texas facility. The exchanged camera will be shipped today, arriving on Tuesday! I'm excited; it is a great camera. :dance3:

• Like Like x 4
  14. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Greg
    I don't really care that an individual has a problem with a camera, it just happens. I do care that the company takes care of their customers, so thanks for following up.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    And the new one has arrived. Now I just have to remember all the settings I changed.

• Like Like x 1