1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G7 First impressions of a wonderful camera

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by JoFT, Jul 6, 2015.

1. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    Nice review. I'm thinking of picking up a g7 this autumn as I don't really need all the features of the gh4.

One question - does the g7 share a battery type with the gx7 or the larger gh4?

3. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    Thank you for your comment..

I am not sure about the Battery type of the GX7... But what it is charming: - and I will add this in the Review - The Battery of the G7 is the same as in the G6 and G5 - and the FZ150, too...

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. arson519

arson519 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Canada
    yup nice camera really fast and nice grip

• Like Like x 1
  5. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Great review! Very nice product photos. I recently got the Gx7 which has the same sensor and I agree with you that it's a great improvement on the previous generation sensor. if G7 was available earlier I might have gotten it instead of Gx7, for the bigger viewfinder mainly. I like the new angular styling.

• Like Like x 1
  6. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    This is, from what I've seen on the net, a great camera. The EM5 II almost got my money, but I really want 4K. I am waiting to see what the GX8 has (I happen to like the ranger finder like design) and would love to have the GX8 with the 12-32 to carry with my EP5 & 70-300 (one a great video camera and the other a 150-600mm handheld (thank you 5 axis IBIS) system). Even if the Gx8 was featured like a G7. I'd go for it as the results from the g7 are amazing (the 4K range of features is amazing from what I've seen). I still love my DSLR's but to have a system whose combined weight less than my D7100/300+tc1.4 would mean that my gear NAS would be over for a long time.

• Like Like x 1
  7. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    I just sold my gx7. I liked the camera, but didn't gel with it the same as I did previously with my em-5 or e-p5. I found the shutter sound rather loud too. I did love the articulating viewfinder and learned to use my right eye to get the most out of the rangefinder shape. I originally switched to the lx100 and gx7 (with p35-100/2.8 or p25/1.4) from Olympus to get better video, but as much as I like the 35-100 zoom for stills, the stabilisation is bad for video.

I am switching to the Olympus OMD-EM5 II to use as my micro 4/3 camera - primarily for stills or for video with longer lenses, but I'm thinking about buying or renting the G7 for a video project that I'm doing this September. It looks like a great camera.

I'm really curious to what the GX8 will be like as there have been no rumours yet! It would be great if Panasonic added some sort of in-body stabilisation that worked along with their lens OIS, especially in video!

• Like Like x 1
  8. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    I never used an Oly-Body... Maybe I should try it once... Have You ever checked the GM1? this is a great camera, too. The Image quality is just comparable to the G7, but there are some limitations, too, f.i. flash sync speed.

9. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I had some questions about picture modes and global whitebalance but they are in comparison to Olympus Jpegs so probably not relevant here.
    The new styling looks and feels great to me : the body is lightweight for its size but I like all the buttons and dials : sensible.
    8fps is FAST, the camera feels fast overall.

10. memzinla

memzinla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've been wondering why they aren't many G7 reviews. If only it had IBIS. :(

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    Mine has just arrived and I'd have to agree. The buttons/dials feel good, there are plenty of function buttons, and the camera feels fast and responsive. This is my first micro 4/3 camera (and I've owned quite a few!) that seems 'just right' in every way. I guess the GH3 came close, but it always felt larger/heavier than it needed to be. The last camera that hit the sweet spot for me like this was my old Canon 40D, some time ago. If the DFD focusing is as good as they say then I may actually resist the 'GAS' and keep this camera for a while :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Nice review, and I'm sure it's a great performer - but (IMHO) it's pug ugly!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    IBIS would have been great. But even without it is a great camera...

• Like Like x 1
  14. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I give it a solid B on looks, but I'm with memzinla on missing IBIS. Every time I convince myself that it is overrated I eventually buy another E-M5 just to hear that whirring sound...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. mrmessy

mrmessy Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 12, 2012
    I am really tempted to buy this camera with the 14-140 lens but I am very concerned about the issue of shutter shock that is being discussed on dpreview.com.

• Like Like x 1
  16. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    I have to agree.
    Features apart, I think this is the most ugly body that Panasonic produced.
    Looks like a mix from a "G" camera with an EM-1 camera.
    I like much more the rounded design of the old cameras bodies like the G5, G6, GH3, GH4.
    Looks like Panasonic tried to mimic the EM-1 or something but end up with a strange mixed design.
    I really don't like that upper front around the logo with straight lines that doesn't match the rest of the camera design.

As for the features, it seams to be a very good camera, with much and better features and IQ than a regular entry level camera. It only lacks image stabilization.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    That part (the boxy front of the pop-up flash/EVF) is the only part that I don't like : all the rest looks great to me.
    When these cet down to cheapo used body prices I might just take a grinder to that area...
    The size is right though : G series isn't growing anymore!

• Like Like x 1
  18. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime

Yes, I think it's that detail that I don't like and makes the camera look strange to me.
    It would look perfect if Panasonic left that boxy front the same rounded shape as the other "G" cameras.
    The size of the camera body it's just right. Not too small or too big.

19. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

This whole issue is being so over exaggerated - too many opinions from people don't even own the camera. Here's one guy who did testing and it shows the mechanical shutter is just fine. Why doesn't anyone speak about the mirror slap that D-SLR's have?
    http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/56121259

• Like Like x 1
  20. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    If you're super concerned about shutter shock and are in a situation where you're going to be printing big and pixel peeping, you may be better off using the electronic shutter, anyway.

In general you only need to use the mechanical shutter if there's fast motion in your image where the electronic readout speed will be noticeable as rolling shutter. The downside with the G7, I guess, is that in an effort to combat rolling shutter Panasonic has reduced the bit depth slightly, so you'll also notice it if you're pushing the shadows multiple stops. For what it's worth, there is very little compromise to using the electronic shutter on the G5/G6/GX7.