1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

G7 face/eye detection - selecting which face to focus on

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by PJ McKenna, Feb 5, 2016.

1. PJ McKenna

PJ McKenna Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 23, 2015
    PJ McKenna
    A little help with using the G7 face detection mode, please?

When I have set the focus mode to face detection and the camera notices multiple faces, then one face is highlighted with a yellow box and the others with a white box. The face in the yellow box is the one that the camera will try to focus on.
    How do I tell the camera to change to focus on a different face, one in a white box? I know I can prioritise a set of preregistered faces but that's different. I find it hard to believe that the simple "no, focus on THAT face" use case is not implemented, but "focus on THAT eye" is.
    I've been digging through the manual to no avail. What am I doing wrong?
    Thanks in advance.

2. There is no good explanation of the face detection mode in the user's manual. I've messed around with it a bit and cannot find any way to select a face by tapping the monitor screen, which would seem like a useful way to do it. I have found that if you have your finger off the shutter and you move the camera quickly, taking the yellow box from one face to another one, it will lock onto the new face and you can then slowly recompose the shot and the yellow box will stay on the selected face. Once you half push the shutter, the focus locks and the selected yellow face box turns green. You can then continue to recompose, but the focus will not change until you fully press the shutter or release the shutter and start over. I've also noticed that the camera seems to favor the face most centered in the frame.

• Like Like x 1
  3. PJ McKenna

PJ McKenna Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 23, 2015
    PJ McKenna
    Thanks Boatman. I'll play around with it some more but I suspect that moving the camera so a different face is mysteriously given priority, as you describe, may be the only solution.
    This aspect of the interface is quite frustrating.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Face detect is just not that fine tunable on Olympus or Panasonic at the moment. I find it useless for anything more than simple portraits. For multiple people I tend to need sufficient DoF to get everyone in focus so it's not a big deal to just use a fixed point.

For isolating a face in a crowd... same deal, but face select would be nice. Actually what I want is for it to find the closest face to my AF point.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wjang - having the face selector select the face closest to the focus point would work well, but I don't think it will work that way at all. So far, I'd agree that this is not a perfect feature.

Are the optical view finder digital cameras (AKA DSLRs!) able to do face detection at all? If so, how well do they do?