G7, A6000 or other?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by muttyhc, Oct 26, 2015.

1. muttyhc

muttyhc New to Mu-43

Oct 26, 2015
    Harrison
    Hi All,

I'm getting a new camera for predominantly family photos, fast moving kids and unpredictable stuff.

I also want to use it to learn photography and develop my skills over time.

From my limited experience so far, I seem to shoot around 50mm FF equiv or 90mm FF equiv generally. Not much into wide and not had a telephoto lens thus far.

I want usable video, but won't be editing it etc at first.
    Generally shoot JPEG at the moment, may learn how to process RAW files in time.
    I like fast AF which just works, not much into taking too much time as I'm often trying to keep up with the kids.
    Indoor shooting is of course going to happen so the camera needs to hold up well here.

Hence, came down to the two above - possibly an Olympus but price wise they are either far more expensive (Em1 body alone is £700+ or used £550ish) or the EM10 seems to have pretty poor video?

So was wondering which would be the best to go for, or if there are other options worth considering? Second hand GX7 can be had for very little (£269 with kit lens) but I do dislike the EVF on that.

Or is venturing higher for that EM1 or EM10ii worth it long term?

I like the G7 ergonomics and seems to be great overall as a package, a6000 too seems cheap/reliable CAF outdoors and OK indoors with cheap lenses (sigma's/ 50 1.8 etc).

Any help appreciated :)

2. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    Hard decision. It´s µ43 vs APS-C. And it is one of the greatest chips inside the Sony. I do have a friend who has the a6000. So I have seen couple of photos with it and I have used it from time to time.

Generally: I am a fan of the G7: It is the camera with the best handling I own -and I know. Fullstop!!!

Some thoughts about the G7 I had been writing down: http://delightphoto.zenfolio.com/bl...rmany-called-g70-a-really-interesting-package

But this is only half of the story: The other half of the story is the choice of native lenses: They are just awesome!!!

In you case: take it with the very cheap 14-42mm kit lens. it is just 100€ more... And than choose a prime lens. The 30mm Sigma Art is great, but the 60mm might be even more interesting - even it the focal length is a bit longer....

3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think you'd have good options on both, but since you mentioned video, the G7 has 4K video capabilities. This also means a 4K video leveraging still mode at 30 shots per second which can be useful for action. G7 has great AF, especially with Panasonic brand lenses so it can leverage the DFD technology. A6000 is also great and has great video and AF, I'd just be less excited to buy a 2 year old camera with no 4K at this point for a similar cost.

A6000 might be a half stop better in low light, but it's really hard to notice unless you set up special tests to see it.

In terms of lenses, I think m4/3 is going to have an advantage. You could start with the 25mm f1.7 and 42.5mm f1.7, which gives 50/85mm equivalent, fast AF and large apertures. If it must be 90mm, then you'll want the Olympus 45mm f1.8 but you won't get stabilization with it.

Sony you'd want to look at the 35mm f1.8 and 50mm f1.8, which are going to be 53mm and 80mm equivalent. That's a bit close together. You could switch to Sigma 30mm f2.8 and 60mm f2.8 for 45 and 90mm equivalent, but then you are only at f2.8.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you plan on investing in lenses, get M43. If you plan on sticking to the kit lens only, get an A6000.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    It's funny, I'd almost recommend the exact opposite.

The 16-50mm kit lens on the A6000 is poor enough that you won't see any additional resolution from a 24MP APS-C A6000 than from a 16MP M4/3 sensor. The 14-42mm kit lenses, especially the Panasonic version II 14-42 are much better.

The A6000 is a good camera with a pretty good sensor, but the kit lens lets it down badly.

The G7 has a touchscreen. That's big!

6. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I think it's more a question of options than kit vs kit. The A6000 Hybrid AF System might be better than the G7's, so it may have the edge in the small/fast kids. But there are also areas the G7 has the edge, video being one of them.

But the m4/3 lens selection is hard to beat. The only other system that really even comes close for options is Fuji. And m4/3 still has more and is MUCH more affordable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Oh, for sure!

I'm just saying, I'd never recommend that anyone with an A6000 stick with just the kit lens. If you're on a tight budget, at least get one of the Sigma primes.

8. muttyhc

muttyhc New to Mu-43

Oct 26, 2015
    Harrison
    Thanks for all the quick replies, to contextualise it.

The Sony A6000 I would get the 18-55 kit for video use, sigma 30mm and sony sel50 1.8 to begin with. This would cost approx £500 and would be used.

The G7 I can get for £470 after cashback new with 14-42 kit lens. I would then consider adding a prime, perhaps the 20 1.7?

Thanks

9. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    unfair
    Mmmh.... Unfair competition new vs. old. More glass vs less... ;-)

Take both in your hand. try it out:
    • The G7 lays way better in your hand.
    • The menu structure of Panasonic is by fare better and easier to understand.
    • Video on Panasonic cameras is the best in the market - a real hybrid one
    The 30mm Sigma is nice for µ43 as well!!!
    And consider the PanaLeica 15mm f1.7....

10. muttyhc

muttyhc New to Mu-43

Oct 26, 2015
    Harrison
    OK - what about if the two were new? Essentially same price, Sony £444 with kit, Panny £470 with kit.

Was considering used, but 6month warranty bothers me as well as unknown shutter counts.

Thanks

11. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    This is hard... They are close: But in this case the G7 wins - for me.

http://delightphoto.zenfolio.com/p1073360422

12. muttyhc

muttyhc New to Mu-43

Oct 26, 2015
    Harrison
    Cheers for all the input guys.

Thinking I am going to get a G7 as seems overall it is a better camera (ergonomics/ evf/ touch screen/ lens selection/ m43 mount being secure, aps-c sony being less focused on than FE etc. and 4k is futureproof).

However, wondering if I should go for the 14-42 ii kit at £444 with cashback or the 14-140ii kit for £599 with cashback? With the 14-42 ii I could get a prime, e.g. 20 1.7 whereas the 14-140 I'd probably need to wait a bit or hope one comes up cheap :)

Thanks

13. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    I vote for G7. M43 has more lenses selection, but also cheaper prices, some of the lenses are around $300-400 make decent photos.

14. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Depends on your preferences. Tele vs normal? Fast vs slow? Zoom vs prime?

I'd rather have a fast "normalish" FOV prime than the telezoom. Not so much "rather" as much as "sooner". Kit lens is amazing for a kit lens, but it has its limitations, and i think most people outgrow it soon.

Also, don't forget the new Panny 25mm. Not sure on the reviews but i know a lot of people (including me) have sold the P20mm due to really slow AF.

15. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
  16. muttyhc

muttyhc New to Mu-43

Oct 26, 2015
    Harrison
    Cheers all much appreciated.

Yes like the look/ price of that 25mm 1.7, doesn't seem to have a release date yet?

I am going to give the 14-140 ii a miss, based on two reasons shutter shock seems to be worse and jitter in handheld video whereas 14-42 ii doesn't have these issues (shutter shock is less it seems).

As a side addition, would a GX7 with 20mm 1.7/ 45mm 1.8 for £500 be a better deal than the G7 for £444 (dropped in price it seems)?

Thanks again.

17. Jon Li

Jon Li Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2014
    Jakarta - Indonesia
    G7 with 4K photo features , no kids no matter how fast they move wud escape .

18. muttyhc

muttyhc New to Mu-43

Oct 26, 2015
    Harrison
    Hi Jon Li, are you suggesting the G7 over the Gx7? Sorry - thanks :)

19. Jon Li

Jon Li Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2014
    Jakarta - Indonesia
    G7 with 4K Photo features , GX7 has no 4K feature . One can capture the 8 mpx still photo which is shot @ 30 fps, faster than any " burst " shoot . Myself hv GX8 , I bought it for the 4K video n photo features as well as Dual IS / IBIS of the camera .

• Like Like x 1
  20. muttyhc

muttyhc New to Mu-43

Oct 26, 2015
    Harrison
    Hello guys still trying to decide properly.

G7 + 12-32/ 35-100 and 25 1.7 lenses

GX7 w/ 20 1.7 and GM5 w/ 12-32 would add 45 1.8 as well.

LX100 + FZ1000?

Thanks