1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G6 WiFi setup tribulations on a Mac

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by chipbutty, Jan 4, 2014.

1. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

Well my quest was to setup up my new G6 so I can wirelessly transfer pics from the camera to my iMac. What an absolute pain in the a*** this turned out to be! I read through various threads on this topic as it seems Panasonic did a pretty poor job of implementing it initially but they finally did get it working after a firmware update. But their documentation on getting it working is poor. There are several tales of woe in various forums. I followed the post on this thread page from maxr GH3 Wi-Fi Questions and Apps discussions and it did help but I didn't find all of it applicable to the G6. I don't know if the G6's WiFi implementation is different?

Anyway follow his screenshots. After the screenshots he goes into more detail:

Now through the camera, recap:

From the GH3 select

Wi-Fi
    Wi-Fi Function
    New Connection
    Send Images While Recording
    PC
    Direct
    Manual Connection

I found that I had to select Network rather than direct. I chose the option to select which images to upload rather than Send Images While Recording. He's right when he says the camera goes into 'slomo' search. It takes an age. Sometimes as long as five minutes. Go and make a cup of tea, or if you're across the pond a coffee. Then when it asks for the computer name enter the one located in Settings > Network > Advanced > WINS This is the NetBIOS Name

i-czN8x4k-M.

According to Panasonic's instructions and Maxr you should be able to create a folder for uploads and select it in the next stage. I created a shared folder called G6, but the camera doesn't prompt you to locate a shared folder. What it does do is default to the standard Shared folder on the Mac and uploads them there. It creates a folder named as the date of the upload. This will be located in UserName > Public. Just make sure that the Public folder has permissions set to read/write (right click on Public and Get Info) and also set all the contents to inherit these permissions. Just make sure you save this new connection as a favourite in the camera. At this same stage you do get the option to select which images to upload and whether to upload JPEG, Raw or both.

Well it does now appear to work. Is it worth it? Not really :biggrin: It's easier to just take the card out and put it in the card reader. The entire process just seems too slow and clunky. Though no doubt some will find it useful. Maybe it will have some benefits. I'm typing all this after a lot of swearing.

Now to try and do the same by connecting it to the iPad. Technology, it makes life so much simpler doesn't it :biggrin:

2. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

Update: Actually now the setup is saved as a favourite the connection is now very quick :smile: The actual file transfer is pretty slow, though but that's probably more to do with the network than the camera itself.

3. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    I was using my Samsung Note II for a wireless trigger on my G6 and it worked pretty well and I was very happy. I was able to connect the two anytime by just touching them together. You can change most of the settings through the phone even focus points by touching the screen. Works well with video also. I recently updated my Note II to the latest firmware update and nothing works now so I'm a little disappointed.

I have my fingers crossed Panasonic will update the app soon. :cool:

Seems they are still working out the bugs with their WIFI/NFC connections.

4. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

I only had a quick go connecting my G6 to the iPad yesterday and didn't have much luck doing anything. The shutter was greyed out. Not very useful. No doubt I'll spend another half day trying to get that to work.

5. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    I was given an iPhone 3GS for Christmas and although I can use the app to transfer photos to the phone, it will not allow me to do remote release photo taking. The android app does work on my android pad, but I really hope they update the iOS app so that it works correctly.

6. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    Lets go Panasonic! Git er done!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Mu-43 mobile app

7. jefft

jefft Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    With the lacklustre battery life on the G6, the Wifi feature was one that quickly got relegated to the "looks good on paper, not so much in real life" list for my usage...

8. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

Yes it really hammers the battery. I do at least have the WiFi working now.