1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

G6 vs GM1 image quality

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by rrunnertexas, Mar 11, 2014.

1. rrunnertexas

rrunnertexas Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 27, 2013
    Arlington, Texas
    I currently use a G3 and a GF3 with the 20mm and 14mm prime lenses and enjoy them.

With the price of the G6 falling, I was considering it as an update until I saw the GM1.

Looking at the DPReview site, the image quality from the GM1 seems clearer and more detailed than the output of the G6.

Am I just seeing differences in processing or is the GM1 sharper than the G6?

Does anyone have both of these cameras that can comment? :thumbup:

Thanks in advance.

2. charcoalblack

charcoalblack Mu-43 Regular

Dec 26, 2012
    the gm1 has panasonic's newest sensor, the G6 uses the old sensor. so you can either get the gm1 or wait until the G7 comes out.

3. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    How large do you print your pictures? Do you shoot RAW, or just JPEG?

I you shoot RAW, it really doesn't matter since the differences between the sensors are so minor that any deficiencies of the G6 could easily be corrected. Unless you regularly view your photos at 100%, or print very large images, you're not going to notice the difference.

It seems odd that you would cross shop a G6 and a GM1. The GM1 is absolutely miniscule, and would compete more with the Pen Mini/Lite cameras.The G6 is a far more customizable camera, more buttons, fully articulating display, EVF, hot shoe.

4. 0200903c

0200903c New to Mu-43

Jan 7, 2014
    Looks, controls aside, the GM1 and GX7's color reproduction, sharpness and contrast seem similar to me to be honest. They are both using the same sensor.

5. popiT

popiT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    BayArea, CA
    Yang
    Before I bought my G6, I shot with GM1 from my cousin's. GM1 does have sharper & more details OOC, but at low-ISO, they both are comparable. Until high-ISO kicks in, GM1 has an advantage. I went for G6 also because of great price dropped & its controls, swivel LCD, EVF, mic in & etc for video.

Depends on what are your priorities.