1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G6 vs GH3 build quality

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by jonlong, Jan 7, 2014.

1. jonlong

jonlong Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    Currently have a G6 and have been slightly disappointed by how plasticky it feels. Also, the knobs don't feel particularly nice. I got my sister a Pen EP3 for Christmas and was very impressed with how that camera felt. Very solid and all the controls felt like they are higher quality. I am wondering how the GH3 compares to the G6 in terms of build quality. I know that it has the metal body, but do the controls also feel nicer/smoother?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

I agree about the dials. The zoom rocker especially. They feel rough and cheap. I guess that's Panasonic for you, very solid and functional cameras with little thought given to how the controls feel in the hand. I really dislike the vague feel of the shutter release. But I think the general build is excellent, not a creak anywhere. I've not used the GH3.

3. jfdana

jfdana Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    South Portland, ME
    Never held a G6. However, I have used a GH3 exclusively for the past year, primarily outdoors in New England. For me, the controls are solid, including with soft-shell gloves in the cold, and up in the mountains in all conditions (except for extreme winter which I gave up in my 50's).

For me, it has proven to be a great functional and reliable body that I just don't think about when I'm shooting.

4. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Panasonic's second tier bodies can certainly feel, for lack of a better term "consumer grade", but just to provide context: The EP series is Olympus top tier rangefinder style camera. The current EP (the 5) is $999 body only and $1449 with a lens and a viewfinder. The G6 (Panasonic's current second tier hybrid model) is $584 with a kit zoom (All BH prices).

The EP3 is a great camera and your sister will be able to create great photographs, but it is an old model being phased out (no longer available at BH) and technically its a few years behind the G6 in photos and a decade or more behind in video. Also, The G6 is an excellent camera, and depending on your individual shooting style, the G6 might even be better than the current EP for stills, and it is certainly better for video. The build quality is very good on the G6, but the fit and finish is not as nice as the EP series cameras.

And to answer your question, both the top tier Panasonics (GH3 and GX7) have better fit and finish than the G6.

5. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    I guess that's why Panasonic can set the price @299 when the G line at the end of cycle, they have to lower the build cost.

6. charcoalblack

charcoalblack Mu-43 Regular

Dec 26, 2012
    I remember reading somewhere that the previous G5 (which by the way I previously owned for a while) was better built that the newer G6. From looking at pics of the G6, I can see where that comment is coming from. It is sort of disappointing to see that the newer camera has a cheaper built than its predecessor. Hopefully the G7 will be better built.

7. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

It depends what we're referring to when we talk about bulid quality. I think the build quality of the G6 is excellent, better than the G3. Less creaky and very solid. But the dials feel cheap and don't have a nice feel. Again, exactly like the G3.

8. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    The G5 and 6 have pretty similar finish quality although g6 has a rougher feeling plastic shell and loses the metallic looking shutter button. Neither of them are as finely made as the G2. Practical tools but its hard to love them.

9. aonavy

aonavy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2012
    Epping NH
    George
    I have both GH3 and G6. The G6 isn't has heavy and does have that plasticy feel to it. With that said, I've dropped the G6 and have put it though it paces and still performs like new. I'm thinking about wrapping it gaft tape to give more of solid feel and more protection. Regardless, it is a great camera!

10. Anthonys

Anthonys Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Sydney
    Anthony
    The G3 felt cheaply made to me after a year of owning, assume the other G series have been the same. The GX, GH and GF all felt a step up so bought a GX1 and GF3 after I sold it a few years ago. It used to be the 'made in Japan' models had the edge but think the Chinese panasonic factory has stepped up with the launch of the GM1.