1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G6 vs G5

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by MadProphet, Oct 16, 2013.

1. MadProphet

MadProphet Mu-43 Regular

Recently started the move from my Nikon D7100 and D40 to m43. I already bought a GX7 but now I'm looking for the replacement for the wife. Looks to me like the G5 should be more than adequate but I see the successor has already arrived. So is the price difference between the two worth moving up to the G6?
    She shoots only occasionally, will most likely stay in Program mode, but does like to experiment. She certainly has an eye and who knows, she may well progress to using more settings. Plus I'll probably take it for a spin or two.
    Quick operation and accurate AF are what I seek. I like wide angle and macro shooting.
    Given the G5 is around $330 and the G6 appears to be nearly double, will we get double the value?

MadProphet

2. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    IMHO, the G6 advantages vs. the G5 relate mostly to shooting video, and to using manual lenses (focus peaking, more accurate viewfinder) If those two things are not significant requirements, The G5 is basically at least 90% of the camera, with the identical image quality, for half of the price of the G6.

I am a happy user of the G5, and would not bother to upgrade until a new successor were to have the newer sensor and image stabilization that's in the GX7. IMHO, the G5 is currently the best deal for a full featured general purpose camera body in M4/3. One thing I WOULD point out, though, is that the kit zoom on the G6 (same new kit lens that sells with the GX7) is newer and noticeably better as well as smaller and better built, than the kit zoom that comes with the G5. So if buying the G5, I would just get the body.

3. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    My wife has recently picked up a G3 for a seriously low price and loves it so I'd go for the G5 for the lower price and perhaps a 20mm F1.4 for indoor use if she starts to struggle with the kit zoom.

4. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    G6 has built in wifi and smartphone app support. Could be useful?

5. MadProphet

MadProphet Mu-43 Regular

Could be further confusion! :0) She'd probably NOT appreciate me saying that... But no, I think I'm in for the G5. Nice compliment to my GX7, even when she's not using it.

6. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    G6 advantages:
    *Faster autofocus (on 240hz capable lenses, which are most recent Panasonic lenses)
    *Low light autofocus down to -3ev, though AF gets progressively slower as you go below 0ev. G5 limited to ~0ev and will NOT focus at less than that.
    *Wifi and compatibility with Panasonic's remote control app.
    *An extra customizable button on the back.
    *Focus peaking for manual focusing
    *Rear touchscreen is capacitive (like a smartphone) rather than resistive (pressure sensitive).
    *Modest improvements in JPG processing. Negligible, if any, improvement in RAW output.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MadProphet

MadProphet Mu-43 Regular

Now those are good, solid reasons to spend the extra bucks. Decisions, decisions.

8. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    If this is of any help - I sold my em5 thinking about buying the em1.
    In the end I decided to save my money and buy the g5 instead as it was going for so cheap.
    It ended up being much more enjoyable to me than the em5 was and I started a thread about it. Look into it and see just how good the g5 is without comparing it to the g6.
    btw I already had good lenses before buying it and sold the old 14-42 kit zoom.

9. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    Many people complain the G5 feels cheaply made and the G6 has better build quality. I have never held a G6, but own a G5 and am fine with the build quality.

As far as the touchscreen, I'd rather have the resistive screen on the G5 than the capacitive, as in my experience you can't use capacitive screens with gloves on, while it is possible with resistive.

I do like better low light focusing, but so far I haven't had an issue with the G5 not focusing. Maybe I just haven't tried in dark enough situations yet. To me, it focuses much better than my E-PM1 does, which is all I have to compare it to. I'd say it is on par with my former Canon dslr.

I bought the G5 because I am cheap and it was too.:biggrin:

10. MadProphet

MadProphet Mu-43 Regular

After researching - and more importantly, knowing what the wife needs/wants, I decided to go with the G5. How can you go wrong with a new G5 for $329?

11. Rex Deaver

Rex Deaver New to Mu-43

Aug 2, 2013
    Overland Park, KS
    Skip the kit lens if you can

I really couldn't stand the kit 14-42 when I got my G5, almost sent it back. Then read a bit and purchased a 14-45 and am quite happy with the combo.

12. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    Great choice.
    Let me add another one - the 14-42 pz. You may have read about its shutter shock problems... I never had any such issues with my 14-42 pz mounted on a gx1, em5 and g5.
    It's very compact, the iq is quite close to the 14-45 which I used to own (but definitely lesser than the 12-35 esp in the corners though if you don't compare images of the same scene with both lenses and just shoot a nicely processed raw the 14-42pz will probably look great to you nonetheless).

A nice thing about the g5 is that you can control the focal length of the pz using the rocker dial near the shutter button. That's the only way I know of truly shooting one-handed while zooming (the g6 can also do this. not sure about the gh3) with an ILC.

13. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    The G5 is a great camera and at the lower arc of it's pricing curve.
    If you buy used, by the time the G6 dips you probably won't lose much if you want to upgrade.