1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G6 slower auto focus than G3

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by chipbutty, Jan 6, 2014.

1. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

Just had the opportunity to take my new G6 out and was disappointed to find that the auto focus is noticeably slower than my soon to be departed G3. Tried it with the Sigma 30mm and Panasonic 14mm. I thought it was all in my head so I put the same lenses on the G3 and suddenly I had the familiar instantaneous auto focus. The G6 is now on a par with my X100 on the new v2 firmware when it comes to auto focussing speeds.

Anyone else noticed this? I gather this is the same sensor as the GH2 so maybe that's why? I'm quite disappointed.

2. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    I went from a G2 to a G6, so I can't say anything about the G3. However, I find the focus on this to be very fast. I do use the function that makes the camera prefocus when you bring the camera to your eye, but even when I then point to something else and focus, it works fine. I use the 45/1.8 and the 100-300 mostly, so I can't comment on your lens performance.

I've had good success with pin point focus if these guys hold still for just a moment, so I have no complaints.

P1060379-L.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Larry H-L

Larry H-L Mu-43 Regular

Aug 6, 2013
    Ohio, USA
    Larry
    Own both the G3 and G6, just tried to compare them for you with a Sigma 19 and 30, and Panny 14-42 kit lens.

In manual mode, inside lighting, with cameras set to AF-S, both seem to infinity focus at the same speed. Close focus is faster with the G6.

I also think the AF-F mode on the G6 is a good addition, works very well in some circumstances.

What I can't get used to on the G6 is the electronic viewfinder, still prefer the G3 EVF, easier to manual focus.

• Like Like x 1
  4. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

Yes AFF is very useful. Though a couple of times I forgot I had it selected and focused and recomposed!

Thanks for testing. Interesting that you didn't see a difference. My G3 seems to auto focus faster than I can blink! It's incredible. But with the G6 there's just a noticeable lag. It's not huge but it's there and when I went to the park with my two year old daughter today I missed a couple of shots I knew my G3 would've nailed.

5. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    How so?

6. Larry H-L

Larry H-L Mu-43 Regular

Aug 6, 2013
    Ohio, USA
    Larry
    The G6 EVF looks "bowed" on the frame edges, and I cannot get the diopter adjusted as well as on the G3, so it never looks crisp.

I do wear progressive glasses, maybe that is part of the problem?

7. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

I've not noticed a bowed look to the edges and had no problems with the diopter to get the EVF looking sharp. Sounds a bit odd. Have you tried a camera reset? Always worth a try.

8. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

There's a lot to like about the G6 but a few things that bug me so far! The main one being the shutter button. I find it too vague and lacking in feedback. A half press feels vague and there's no positive feel or click when pressed fully. I had a similar complaint with the G3 but it's much worse on the G6. Possibly related to the G6 having the electronic shutter option which has influenced the shutter release design. The GF1 had/has a great shutter button feel as does the E-PM1.