G6 question/flash sync

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by OlyPannyMan, Dec 21, 2014.

1. OlyPannyMan

OlyPannyMan Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 21, 2014
    Sometimes I shoot macro photos with a Nissin clip on flash. I would like to use aperture priority for depth of field but set the shutter speed at 1/160 sync. I can't figure out how to do that.

When I've done it in the past, I'm not sure how the camera selected the shutter speed---sometimes it seemsed like it metered ambient light, sometimes it seemed to be correlated to focal length I was using. Because of the magnification of macro, obviously, I don't want ghost images, so the fastest sync would be best.

With my Olympus cameras I think I set those limits and forgot them. I can't seem to find how to do it with Panasonic. Anybody know?

Thanks in advance!
  2. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    You can't choose both when you are using aperture priority. You need to work in manual. Set the speed to 1/160 and then the required aperture for the shot. If this shows a dark image the flash should now expose it correctly but you may need to tweak it. Unfortunately the G6 is not WYSIWYG when in manual mode. I don't know why they did this and it is super annoying so you must watch the metering. It may pay to give manual flash a go for this also.
  3. OlyPannyMan

OlyPannyMan Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 21, 2014
    Thanks for the reply, RamblinR!

I think my Olympus gear tended to have a default of 1/60 flash sync---it wasn't at the max. But I was able to go into the menus and set the 1/160th as default.