G6 ot GH3 for studio?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Cloudy, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Cloudy

Cloudy New to Mu-43

Jul 22, 2013

My wife has a GX1 which she absolutely adores with some extra lenses by Panasonic: 20mm f1.7, 45mm f2.8, 7-14mm f4.0

Anyway, she's starting a studio photography course pretty soon and her GX1 has only 1 hot shoe and from what I remember it's not compatible with remote TTL flashes (whatever this means exactly).

So, the question is: in an SLR dominated studio with unknown equipment (at least for now), does the pricier GH3 have any compatibility advantages over the G6?
    Are there any other factors that would make one camera more attractive than the other (other than the sensor, I'm not a dxo benchark fanatic)?

2. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    You never work With TTL in studio. As long as it have a hot shoe, she will be able to trigger the flash with a remote trigger. If there is a hot shoe on the GX-1, she will be OK. For studio photography, there will be no difference between the G6 and GH3

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 mobile app
  3. Cloudy

Cloudy New to Mu-43

Jul 22, 2013
    There is a hot shoe on the GX1, but there is no built-in LVF, which is more than a bit of a problem.
    Since the G6 has a built in LVF, the hot shoe is available for use.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Remote TTL means that you can control the flash wirelessly with the same metered auto settings as on the hotshoe.

For most studio photography you will not actually need this. When shooting with studio strobes this option is not present at all. When shooting with speedlights, it is the choice of the photographer but many studio photographers prefer to go with manual flash. However, even if you're shooting manual without TTL, the remote capabilities are still very useful in allowing you to change settings on all your speedlights from the camera itself without having to physically move or calling your assistant to do it for you. ;)

Firing from the Remote Commander does have a couple disadvantages. The first being a significant delay. This is present anytime you meter with TTL flash, but moreso when also sending remote signals. The more manual you go the less delay you will experience. Some also complain about flash residue showing up in their image from the commander sending off the signals. The delay is meant to prevent this, but it doesn't always work. If you fire your flash or strobes through radio transmitter you will not introduce any other light, or if you fire your flash or strobes as slaves through an external flash on the flash bracket (using a proper light modifier) then you will introduce a soft, positive fill light to your image. I prefer the latter for high-key, the former for low-key.

The biggest difference will be the accessibility of controls. The GH3 will give you more direct controls through a better button array. Plus you will have two important ports which can be quite necessary for a studio photographer depending on what you're doing. First is the PC-Sync port, which will allow you to attach a direct PC-to-PC Sync cable to your flash. Great for firing on-bracket flash without TTL. The second is the standard 3.5mm stereo mic port. This is essential to have if you are shooting video. The Panasonic cameras do not have a mic adapter like the Olympus cameras do, so the port must be present in the camera itself or you will never have that option and must rely on an external recorder which you will have to sync in post.
  5. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Personally, in the studio I'd get the G6 and use the money saved on more lighting equipment.

I agree with Eric [edit: and with Ned, I see I'm behind him, lol] that in a studio setup you're working with setups where you completely control the light and it only takes a few test shots to tweak your lighting.

Overall exposure is not the big issue with studio lighting and you don't need TTL for that. In addition, BALANCING your light to get the "look" you want is an entirely manual operation anyway -- automation doesn't know when you have the shadows just right in a multi-light setup.

The idea of being able to stand at the camera and tweak the balance is a nice-to-have, but not a need-to-have and wireless TTL will occasionally give you unpleasant surprises that manually balanced flash never will.

If your wife will do more video work, and in particular if she intends to do event work "rain or shine" the weathersealing on the GH3 comes into play. But you're paying a lot of extra money that could be sunk into studio necessities.
  6. Cloudy

Cloudy New to Mu-43

Jul 22, 2013
    Thank you for your very informative and detailed answers.

From what I have learned so far, and please correct me if I am wrong:
    EVF & Touch screen: Big plus for the G6
    Sensor: Point goes to the GH3
    Fun features and focus peaking: Point goes to the G6
    Connectivity and control: Point goes to the GH3
    Price: G6 is cheaper.

Splash and dust proof is a great feature, but none of her current lenses is sealed against either, so at least for the near future, this feature can not come into play.

Assuming I could have the G6 for around $900 and the GH3 for around $1200, which would you recommend for studio usage with her existing lenses?
  7. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I guess you're not in the USA? Price for the G6 is about $750 with the kit lens and should be less body only.

At Adorama: Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6KK Mirrorless Digital Camera with 14-42mm II Lens DMC-G6KK

There's a bigger disparity in price than you're suggesting and that disparity buys a lot of cheap light stands, softboxes and low end strobes if you need them. I'm still all about the G6 for a bargain. I don't think the EVF and touchscreen of the GH3 is any worse than the G6. Pretty much even but you have it as a point for the G6 -- don't necessarily think that's better in the G6.