G6 or OMD

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by Teefin1, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Teefin1

Teefin1 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 4, 2012

I have just bought a used G6 with 14-140mm, but i think it may be faulty. The AEL function won't work regardless of which button i program it too.

I can't decide whether to keep it (AEL isnt hugely important, just bugs me that it doesnt work) or return it and buy an OMD EM5.

I like both cameras, the G6 offers better value at £770, wheteas the OMD is still £900 with the 12-50mm. The OMD offers more user control, especially in creative modes. The G6 wont even fire an external flash in this mode.

Also, people pan the panny jpegs. They dont offend me at all but i do find the oly jpegs sharper with extra punch.

Hmmm, any input much appreciated, and i apologise if this has been done to death. :)
  2. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    The reason that I switched to the E-M5 was the IBIS. My reason was that
    I love to use legacy lenses & now I can use them stabilized!!! Worth it's
    weight in gold....... ;-)
  3. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    I have no opinion on which camera, but you might want to check your custom settings. AE/AF lock can be AF only, AE only, or both. See pages 176-177 of the advanced user guide.
  4. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

You should be able to pick up a used EM-5 with 12-50 for around £600. Admittedly the 14-140mm is a much more useful all-round lens, but on the other hand the 12-50 does double up as a macro. What sort of photography are you into? I'm terrible at flitting between cameras and have now tried Panasonic GX1, Panasonic G5, Olympus eM-5, Panasonic G6 and now the Panasonic GX7. The main criticism levelled at the EM-5 (coming from Panasonic cameras) is the size of the minimum focus box. I had DSLRs before and was used to the small focus points, this is something that Panasonic matches quite well when using the smallest size of focus box. The EM-5 can only do the next size up, which makes focussing on the eyes very difficult! Or at least annoying, as you have to go through a few steps to mimick the small focus box.
  5. Teefin1

Teefin1 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 4, 2012
    Thanks Thom, i have checked the settings and it is set to AE lock. It just doesnt work :(
  6. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    That's weird. I don't use it, so your question had me going through the manual pretty hard. Cameras now have so many options they are hard to keep straight. I had to change the AF/AE Lock Hold (and change the AE Lock function) to get mine to behave as I expected.
  7. Teefin1

Teefin1 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 4, 2012
    Which is why i think mine may have a flaw. I switch it to AF lock and it works just fine. Switch back to AEL.....nada.
  8. Teefin1

Teefin1 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 4, 2012
    i read that if you set an fnbutton to focus magnify and then click in and out of it the focus box appears smaller?

One thing that makes me feel better about the omd cost vs the g6 (the lens is about 500 quid here) is thst the 12-50 does macro and the oly 40-150 is well regarded.

So in reality the question is probably camera (omd) vs lens (14-140) rather than omd vs g6 (which im not dissing in any way!)
  9. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    That's a bummer. If you want to compare detailed settings, let me know. Otherwise, good luck with your decision. So many good cameras to pick from these days.
  10. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    a 14 - 140 with a raynox 150 on the end when macro is needed could arguably be more user friendly than the 12 - 50 + 40 - 150
  11. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    You can make the Panasonic jpegs look at awful lot like the Oly one's just by bumping up contrast, saturation and sharpening a bit. Personally , I prefer the less "in your face" defaults that Panasonic uses, but to each his own. If you plan to do any post processing, you'll find that using more sharpening in camera greatly increases the likelihood of artifacts showing up in post.

For me, the most important difference between these cameras is in ease of use and ergonomics. Oly's menus are needlessly complex, disorganized, and make many things far more difficult. Try turning AEB on and off, for example. It takes a minimum of 12 button presses / knob twirls / screen taps. Yes, the SCP makes some things easier, but it's not customizable, so it contains a bunch of features I rarely change, and doesn't include things I use frequently, so it's not nearly as helpful as it could be.

I found the controls on the EM-5 to be cramped, and difficult to operate with the camera to my eye, and not so easy to use even when the camera isn't at my eye. The G6 controls are much better laid out and easier to reach.

12. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    You might consider keeping the G6 and acquiring the OMD.

If you do any video the G6 is the far better piece of gear...

...With one exception. IBIS in the OMD is way better than anyone else's stabilization. I've seen hand held video footage from OMD's that looks very close to good Steadycam work.

With both taking the same lenses you wind up with the best of both worlds.

The OMD offers outstanding high ISO performance for great low light work and the G6 has focus peaking which their flagship model, the GH3 doesn't have.

My primary focus is motion picture (video) and I work primarily with GH3's but am taking my own advice as I have an OMD E-M5 found in this site's "buy/sell" forum coming by FedEX in a couple of days. Primary reason is for the IBIS for "takes" where I'll have the camera in motion.
  13. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Problem with AEL button could be related to button mode as It can be set to two different modes push to on and push to off or hold it to on and release to off.

G6 is very good and capable camera with nice features like Wifi and focus peaking, I would recommend OMD only if weather sealing or internal stabilization is needed.