1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G6 or gx7 !

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by steelerdan69, Sep 27, 2013.

1. steelerdan69

steelerdan69 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2011
    I'm ready to pull the trigger but can't decide. I'm no pro just want a good camera with all the bell and whistles.

I have a few questions maybe I can then decide what to get.

1. What looks better ?the OLED EVF or the higher number LCD with 100 % RGB on gx7?

2. Is the 1/8000 shutter speed better than the one on g6? Again just a rookie ameatur

3. What does $400.00 more on gx7 gets me that the G6? Besides the tilting EVF or faster shutter speed

One thing that's big for me is the EVF,I hear no so good things about it on the GX7, but I don't wear glasses. I just want the one which is clearer

thanks for any help

2. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Mainly, you get a newer sensor (that's probably about 1 stop more sensitive in low light condition) In-body image stabilization - which allows you to have stabilization with lenses that don't have it built in, and a different, probably better, control layout.

IMHO, the 1/8000 shutter speed is a very minor advantage - I went 35+ years photographing action in daylight and not needing a 1/8000 speed. OTOH, the faster flash sync speed on the GX7 could matter if you shoot many moving subjects using flash

As for which viewfinder is better - it's a tough call - the ergonomics are probably different for different people.

3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    The EVF is going to be tough to reach a conclusion about if you can't try them. Some owners say the GX7 EVF is excellent, some think it's too small. A few people have said they notice color smearing during panning (with the GX7), others say they don't. I think it really depends on your expectations and your individual eye. OTOH, I don't think I've seen any complaints about the G6 EVF. The EVF in the GX7 has a 16:9 aspect ratio, which is probably better if your primary use will be video. The G6 is 4:3, probably better if your primary use will be stills.

Otherwise, the sensor in the GX7 will undoubtedly be less noisy if you're shooting in low light at high ISO, especially at ISO 3200 and above. In typical outdoor lighting, I think any differences in IQ will be small. Both are capable of excellent images, both have very fast AF, and very accurate exposure metering. Both have a ton of picture modes and other options in the menus.

The G6 has a fully articulating LCD, which I prefer over the tilt-only screen of the GX7.

The 1/8000th shutter speed can be an advantage if you want to shoot at wide apertures (e.g. f/1.4, f/2.0) in bright daylight. Since the minimum ISO on these cameras is still fairly high (no equivalent to ISO 25 Kodachrome), a fast shutter speed may be necessary. If you're going to be shooting with the kit lens, it won't matter much.

My thought: Unless there's a particular feature of the GX7 that you know is important to you, buy the G6 and spend the extra money on another lens, or a copy of Lightroom and a book on how to use it, or a photo class. Any of those will have a bigger impact on your images than a different body will.

• Like Like x 3
  4. mazg

mazg Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    If you you plan to buy a lot of non-IS lenses or have a large legacy lens collection then the in body IS of the GX7 would be useful.

Personally I think ergonomics are important and are very subjective. I think there is a lot to be said for holding the cameras. I wanted to love the Oly E-M5 but when I picked it up it felt like a slippery brick (literally). Then I picked up the G5 and fell in love (well, as much as you can love a camera). Features only get you so far, if you don't love carrying it around - you won't. I suggest you try them out in person if you can.