G6 or GH3?

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by Biro, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    G6 or GH3? The prices are falling on both as both are now out of production. I've seen an eBay offering for a new, leftover G6 body just under $200. But, generally, both the G6 and GH3 bodies are going for about $600 at Amazon and other mainstream retailers (at least where you can find them). I may still decide the price for either is too high. But, at roughly the same price between the two, which would you go for?
  2. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    The G6 is smaller, has a better EVF, and focus peaking.

The GH3 is better built, has higher-end video encoding, audio and live HDMI output, massive battery life, weather sealing, also a better sensor.

Have you considered a GX7? It's retailing for even less than that nowadays. The stills/video output is on par with the GH3 and better than the G6.

You may be able to find the G6 at half the price you're quoting if you look around, though.
  3. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'll give you my opinion, since I owned 2 G6's, and now own a GH4 & GH3.

The G6 is a good camera, but after owning the GH3/4, it was difficult to use the G6. The only thing that I wish was on the GH3 from the G6 is focus peaking. Other than that, the GH3 is better in every way (unless you value size of the camera, which isn't as big of an issue for me because I find the GH3/4 small enough, and I use them with "larger" lenses like the 12-35 and 35-100). The EVF isn't great in the GH3, but it's not terrible. I'd say it's almost as good as the one in the G6.
    • Like Like x 1