1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G6 Or EM5 (original)

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by pwjp2011, Aug 7, 2015.

1. pwjp2011

pwjp2011 New to Mu-43

Nov 9, 2014
    A while back I had posted that I had bought a GX7 and didn't really care for the ergonomics on it. It took great pictures but just didn't like the feel in my hand. Had a GF1 years ago and it took great pictures but composing off the screen drove me crazy. Been using my EOS M quite a bit but there are more than a few things that I don't particularly care for. There are 3 things that I don't care: taking pictures in general is sluggish as is the autofocus, the touch screen only interface is eh - especially in bright sun light and I really don't like that it doesn't have a viewfinder. Its very hard to see in bright light. But that being said, the picture quality is great.

Was considering an EOS M3 but I don't like the fact that the viewfinder has to be attached and I am not sure its as fast as the Panasonics and Olympus.

I have noticed there are quite a few bargains around right now - there are left over G6s and EM5s. AND they are quite cheap :) . I like cheap and its a way to get my m4/3 feet wet without investing a ton of money. For less than 1/2 of what they originally cost it works for me. Each of them seem to have things that I care about. They are quick, have an EVF, can shoot stills and video and have reasonable ergonomics.

From my playing with them the G6 is more ergonomic than the EM5. The G6 seems like a mini-DSLR. Frankly I don't care that its made of plastic. Polycarbonate is some of the toughest materials around so that doenst bother me. It also has great videos, menus and touch screen.

The EM5 is metal, sealed and has build in stabilization. But it doesn't feel as ergonomic as the G6. Its kind of flat and the buttons seem kind of squished together compared to the G6. The EM5 feels like a tank and is very solid. Its got a great EVF and back screen.

So I would like to hear recommendations as to one or the other.

2. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    If you do ANY video at all, the G6 is your better option. The E-M5 IBIS is fantastic but the original model's video is somewhat "crippled" compared to Panasonic's implementation. The original E-M5 uses a "weak" codec, some motion "breaks up" due to fairly low bitrate, and framerate options are severely limited.

The MkII version is better.

Best option IMO is the new G7. I just got one to use as a second camera with the GH4. Still's look great and video is fantastic, I shoot in UHD 4K, edit on a 4K timeline, and render to 1080p for some of the best looking 1080p going. And it also shoots great looking straight 1080p.

Priced at $797 at B&H, Adorama, and others, it is between what used E-M5's are going for and the MkII version.

• Like Like x 1
  3. pwjp2011

pwjp2011 New to Mu-43

Nov 9, 2014
    I do shoot video thanks to my T2i and EOS M. I used to not care about video but have found its great at preserving moments with your family and other cool things you want to remember. I love the HD filming. The EOS M actually does a pretty good job as a video camera.

I want to get more involved with the m43 on a limited budget before I go all in. The EVF is very important and these both have it. I realize I am approaching it from a DSLR perspective in terms of the handling.

4. nzdigital

nzdigital Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2010
    New Zealand
    Wayne
    Hi pwjp2011

Probably too late on this one - presume you've got something by now?

If so, what did you go for? Seems like you were leaning more towards the G6?

For what it's worth, I was making the same decision a month back, and also coming at it from a DLSR viewpoint. I tried a G3, and an EM5, and I too preferred the panasonic for it's DSLR-like handling. So I got... the EM5 MkII o_O

I'm not into video, although I don't think the video on the EM-5 is un usable for preserving moments. Did you try the EM5 with the optional grip? Makes a huge difference - and in the end the metal body, weather sealing, AMAZING ibis, and 'retro' styling (I love the old OM film cameras) won it for me.

But I also know I would have been very happy with the Panasonic as well.....

Both great cameras - but I went for the Oly.

Let me know how you got on.

5. tino84

tino84 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2013
    g6 has an electronic shutter, so no shutter shock, while em-5 does NOT have 0-antishock as e-p5 or m-1/10/5mk2

g6 has a low-light AF that's awesome, I have gx7 (same low-light af) and e-pl5 (same sensor/af than e-m5) and it's no way so fast and efficient compared to panasonic..

6. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    EM5 M1 does have 1/8 sec antishock.

7. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    Tough call but I would probably go G6. Oly IBIS is nice, but you can live without it. Weather sealing requires expensive sealed lenses. The G6 has wifi, electronic shutter, better AF, better video, better handling and is probably a more durable camera.

8. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I'm gonna take a different tack and say the EM10 mk I. There is just so much to like about that camera, the IBIS is perfectly suitable for any need, the EVF is better than the EM5, it has electronic first curtain shutter to avoid any instance of shutter shock, and the ergonomics with the Olympus add-on grip are heaven, a bit bulkier than the G6 but fits the hand ridiculously well. Plus it should be within your price range now, as I've seen some great deals lately new or even better lightly used.

9. tino84

tino84 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2013
    1/8 sec is not 0 sec...

10. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    Not a bad idea. I was going to say E-M5 (because I have one and like it). But the E-M10 MkII may be a better choice. I came to m43 from Pentax - loved the way the K5 felt in my hand; the controls were just right for me. I didn't like the feel or handling of the E-M5 at all at first, but with time it feels "normal" and now it doesn't bother me at all. The IBIS in that camera is a killer feature. Sharp shots down to 1/8 second, depending on the lens.
    The compact size is a real plus.