1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G6 -Image Quality Vs G5

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by BigCTM, Oct 19, 2013.

1. BigCTM

BigCTM Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2012
    Every review says that the image quality of the G6 is the same as the G5. Unfortunately, that was my main issue with the G5 - image quality. Has Panasonic changed anything with the G6 with regards to image quality? Or, put it this way, has anyone noticed that the image quality of the G6 improved over the G5? The white balance of the G5 indoors drove me crazy. I was constantly having to change it. Auto WB was often way off.

2. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    I have a G5 and haven't tried a G6. However, I'd say that if you weren't happy with the G5 image quality, you should try a camera with a different sensor, which means either the current Olympus models or the GH3 or GX7, which have a newer sensor. The G6 has the same sensor as the G5.

All that said, the white balance thing does not really seem worse to me than my old camera (an E-PL1). Yes, it's off sometimes, but it is not hard to set nor is it hard to fix in post-processing. If white balance is the only issue you're dealing with, I'll let somebody else respond about which camera is best on that.

3. FernandoBatista

FernandoBatista Mu-43 Regular

Sep 3, 2012
    Portugal
    I had a G5 last year and last week I bought a G6. So far I'm not impressed with the G6's noise. It's the same sensor (or should be) but so far it seems much worse. I'd love to ear other users opinions on this, but I'm starting to think there's something very wrong with my unit.

About the WB I don't remember exactly how the G5 was, but the G6 is quite good, comparing to the A65 I've been using it's miles away... much better.

4. BigCTM

BigCTM Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2012
    That (WB) was my main issue with the G5. I did not think it was great at high ISO either but I knew that going in. Definitely better than the 12MP sensor as far as high ISO is concerned though...

5. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I'm not sure one should equate WB with Image Quality. I shoot the G5 extensively and once in a while WB gets wacky indoors but nothing that can't be fixed easily in post. I shoot RAW though.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I'm surprised. I shoot a G5 alongside an EM5 and until you go to 100% it's usually hard to tell the difference.

• Like Like x 1
  7. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I agree with this. I shoot with a G5 and an E-PL5 and, in 90% of the situations I shoot in, the IQ is so close between the two cameras that it's not an issue. Maybe 10% of what I shoot would have enough dynamic range requirement or low enough light requirement that the E-PL5 would be perceptibly better, but generally it's not something I even bother thinking about.

8. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013

I truly understand you.
    I now have a G5 after over a year with the EM5.
    I only shoot RAW and my workflow is using Lightroom with presets I made for each ISO setting separately so LR uses different starting values depending on camera and ISO level. This is combined with using color profiles from colorfidelity (I emailed him and he said his profiles for both cameras try to achieve as a starting point the Olympus colors we see from ooc jpeg in the EM5).
    I find the difference in IQ between the EM5 and G5 isn't too big until I hit around ISO 1600-2000 and I don't shoot much over that anyway.

In jpeg the difference is startling as the WB of the G5 (as is true of the GX1) is way off a lot of the time. That's why I have WB set to auto in LR for G5 (and GX1) RAW files whereas when I had the EM5 it was left on 'as shot'.

9. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Couldn't agree more. Aside from extreme circumstances of exceptionally high ISO, or exceptionally low light, I think the quality of the images presented from the G5 is very, very good. Do your part well, capture in RAW, and you should expect awesome IQ from the G5. And I would expect images from the G6 to be ever bit as good, if not better, than the G5.

When I've read a complaint about the IQ from a G5, my first thought is that the photographer doesn't know how to use the camera very well, they are exceptionally demanding in a very difficult photographic situation, or they just happen to have a bad sample of camera.