1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G6 - help me understand in-camera teleconverter

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by jonlong, Oct 28, 2013.

1. jonlong

jonlong Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    The G6 has an option for a digital teleconverter that enhances the zoom, but also takes a smaller picture. Is this just cropping? It seems like it's just magnifying the image on screen and cropping the excess. If so, what's the point? If it's doing something else, please explain. Thanks!

2. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    It is designed for video. The way video works with the 4/3 sensor, half the information is thrown out to record HD video. Using the digital teleconverter will instead use the center of the sensor, effectively making it a 2/3" sensor with a 4x crop factor and no information loss.

It isn't that useful for still photos.

3. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    Whilst the overall effect is pretty much the same as cropping, it can help you to frame and focus for the intended image.

4. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    I think the manual focus assist is probably an easier way to do this.

5. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    Possibly, but there are differences. Manual Focus Assist will display just a magnified area surrounding the selected focus point. The Extended Optical Zoom feature will display the full image frame. MFA requires manual input, whereas you can rely on autofocus during EOZ. You can also use MFA during EOZ should you need even greater (on display) magnification.

6. Superstriker#8

Superstriker#8 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 24, 2013
    For stills it's the same as cropping

7. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    I was just looking at the manual for this and I noticed that you can't use it RAW mode and you can't use it with L image size. So, as has been stated, it is really is just crop-in-camera.