1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

G6 flashless @ low light

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Cloudy, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Cloudy

Cloudy New to Mu-43

Jul 22, 2013
    My wife eventually got a G6 which took the GX1 place as her main camera. She uses it mostly to shoot heavy metal bands on stage. We're talking about low light, smoke machines, constantly changing light whether it's the color or the intensity and obviously moving targets. You get the idea.

The setup: Panasonic G6 + Panasonic 20mm f/1.7
    Settings: Aperture priority with iA turned on almost all the time, automatic focus.
    Tonight she might give focus-peaking a go and try to do some manual focus shots to see if she's getting better results.

Anyway, the results so far are pretty good, some people are positively amazed. Yes, many of the pictures were converted to black and white (quite obviously if you think about it) and many are quite grainy because even with an aperture of 1.7 the iso jumps all the way to 3200. The new motto is: grain adds character, like old film :)

You can see pictures from two concerts here.

Bottom line so far: thank you Panasonic for the iA button, it's a bigger life saver than we've ever expected.
    Future plans: if manual focus proves to be anywhere as good as auto focus, we'll have to start saving for a Voigtländer Nokton 17.5mm f/0.95. That's 500g of very high quality glass...

If you like her pictures, drop her a word in her albums or at her facebook page. It will mean a lot for her to get some input from fellow photographers.

Thanks for reading :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  2. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    Those are nice photos. A question though (I recently got a G5):
    Doesn't iA override aperture priority? Or is that the point you are making?

3. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    iA overrides everything.

4. Cloudy

Cloudy New to Mu-43

Jul 22, 2013
    As STR said, iA overrides pretty much everything but if/when she decides to take back some control by turning off the iA button, she's at aperture priority. Assume all the pictures you see were taken with the iA button on since only a few were taken without it.

5. Dan Ka

Dan Ka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2011
    Northeastern Ohio
    The G5 and G6 have iA plus where you can set the the EV from -3 to +3, and the color can be adjusted from more red to more blue tint. Defocus adjustment (bokeh) is available in both iA and iA plus modes.

Just sayin'.

6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Defocus is not "bokeh."

Defocus means using larger apertures to get shallower depth of field.

Bokeh is the character of the out of focus areas (e.g., grainy, smooth, "crunchy," "creamy," etc.)

Depth of field is objective, and mathematically calculable. Bokeh is highly subjective, hence the vague terminology. It cannot be quantified.

The word bokeh may be misused more often than it's used correctly, but that doesn't make said misuse correct.

7. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    You can also do that in A mode, where EV setting controls ISO and shutter, shutter being dependent on the focal length of the lens you have. That is, if using a 100-300mm lens at 300, it will try to keep shutter speed higher than 1/600, whereas with a 20mm is will let it get down to 1/40 and ramp down ISO until it hits base. Then it will increase shutter speed with increasing amounts of light or decreasing EV setting.

8. Dan Ka

Dan Ka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2011
    Northeastern Ohio
    @ meyerweb You are absolutely correct. I was trying to simplify the definition of defocus by misusing "bokeh".

@ STR My point was that iA (and iA plus) does not override everything, on at least these 2 cameras.

Sorry for any confusion.

9. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    Pretty good work and very nice PP. Congrats to your wife.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Cloudy

Cloudy New to Mu-43

Jul 22, 2013
    I went forward and ordered a Voigtländer Nokton 17.5mm f/0.95.
    My wife took quite a few shots with manual focus (using focus peaking) and she's beginning to feel confident doing so.
    I guess this lens at 540g (compared to the 100g of the 20mm f/1.7 pancake from Panasonic) will take a bit to get used to, but with nearly two stops wider it should make a difference.