G6 - An Overlooked Gem

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by BigCTM, Dec 19, 2014.

1. BigCTM

BigCTM Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2012
    I have been wanting a DSLR style camera without all the weight and pulled the trigger on the G6 earlier this week when Amazon had it priced briefly for $515 with the 45-150 lens free. After using it for a few days, I am blown away. The size is perfect and it fits my hands like a glove. Best of all - it is loaded with features (focus peaking, wifi, fully articulating screen, lots of customizable function buttons, etc) and the image quality seems to be improved from the G5 I owned, even with the same sensor. The video quality is amazing. I took a 5 minute video of our daughter's preschool performance and it's the best handheld video I have ever done. The unlimited recording times are nice too. I guess the rage is for rangefinder style cameras but I like the DSLR style better. But I did not want a full size DSLR and the G6 fits the bill perfectly. Highly recommended...Yes the G7 might be coming out in a few months with a new sensor but I have no issues with the 'old' sensor on the G6. It seems tweaked from the G5 for better auto white balance and better performance at higher ISOs. Plus the price is right now.

• Like Like x 4
  2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Just too many excellent mu43 bodies out there. The GH3 is only $50 more and the GX7 is cheaper. Great cameras can get totally overlooked.

3. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

I had one for a couple of weeks but just couldn't live with the ergonomics, though the grip is excellent. In terms of features and performance it really is superb and I agree that has gone largely unnoticed and under appreciated.

4. BigCTM

BigCTM Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2012
    The ergonomics is one of my favorite aspects of the G6. Everything is easily accessible on the G6 without diving into menus. I guess that's why they make all different types of cameras.

5. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I have been using a G5 for the past 6 months and have really come to appreciate the ergonomics, and the articulated screen over the Olympus cameras I've used. My father had been eyeing my G5 so I decided to give it to him for Christmas, along with the kit lens which I've never used. I wanted something with full control over video and initially purchased a GX7 but quickly realized I didn't get on with the ergonomics the way I did with the G5. In the end I picked up a used G6 body from KEH during their Cyber Monday sale. I think it feels lighter (and more cheaply made) than the G5, but I definitely appreciate the focus peaking feature. As far as IQ goes, I've haven't used it enough in similar enough settings to the G5 to pass any judgement, but since they have the same sensor and I typically shoot RAW I don't expect to see any difference. I do shoot JPEG+RAW on the G6 though just so I have the option to use the WiFi feature if I want to. Yesterday I shot a photo of my daughter, edited it, and posted it to Flickr all without using a computer - first time I've ever done that. I don't intend on doing that regularly since I appreciate the flexibility of RAW files, but admit it was somewhat liberating.

6. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Mu-43 Regular

Nov 29, 2014
    The G6 was on my list but I wound up buying the GX7. The price and the $100 BH gift card were too tempting.

7. BigCTM

BigCTM Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2012
    The GX7 was on my list too but I really wanted the microphone input and the deal at Amazon with the free 45-150 lens in addition to the much improved 14-42 lens for right at $515 sealed the deal for the G6.

8. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

The issue I had, and I know many others had, was the palm of my hand inadvertently pressing the buttons on the back of the camera. I found it infuriating. One owner resorted to using that Sugru material to prevent his palm from hitting the buttons. It's a personal thing and I'm sure it doesn't affect everyone. I think that aspect of the camera was poorly designed. I've had several Panasonic cameras and disliked the ergonomics on all of them except the GF1.

9. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I have that issue with the G6 though I never seemed to have it with the G5. I also dislike the auto sensor for the EVF (but at least you can turn that off). I'm willing to deal with those issues as what I do really like (on both the G6 and the G5) is the zoom toggle switch that can also be used to adjust exposure compensation - its simply the easiest method of that adjustment on any camera I've ever used.

• Like Like x 1
  10. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

Yes the adjustment toggle is nice though the lovely chunky metal dial on my EM5 is nicer :) But the OMD is considerably more expensive, or at least it was.

I didn't mind the EVF sensor on the G6 as you could adjust the sensitivity. Something I wish my OMD had.

11. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    What I like about the toggle over a dial is that you can simply press and hold until the image looks the way you want in the EVF or LCD (but not in Manual) as opposed to notched spins of a wheel. Its a tiny thing really, but I've found I really like it.