1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G5 worth it?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by jayhawk92, Jul 18, 2012.

1. jayhawk92

jayhawk92 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 24, 2012
    So I know everyone will have their own opinion of what's valuable to them. But I'm wondering, with an $800 price tag on G5 with Kit Lens, assuming a $50 drop in price on the G3, I could get a G3 plus something like the coveted 20mm lens to go along with it for the same price. Anyone out there see a reason why the G5 would still be a better option than G3 plus $300 worth of glass???? I know there are little improvements in engine and such, but I mainly just see design changes.

2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    If it was going to be my primary camera, I'd have to seriously consider the G5 just for the improved ergos. I bought a G3 for my wife, and for me to use as a backup. The output is fine, but it's nowhere near as nice to use as my GH2. I think the G5 will be much nicer in actual use.

But if the G3 works for you, then it's hard to argue against glass. A good lens will almost always have more impact on your images than a new body, unless you really need some particular capability, like the faster frame rate or better video capability.

3. jayhawk92

jayhawk92 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 24, 2012
    Yeah that's the big question, are the improved ergos good enough to put off a new lens for probably months maybe even a year. Won't the g3 hack make video on the g3 just as good?

4. Azimuth

Azimuth Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    Thornbury, Victoria
    It really depends on what you have now, and how big of an upgrade the G5 is for you personally.

The G5 has some great features, the electronic shutter is especially compelling. If I didn't already have a G3 I would have the G5 on pre-order.

As far as the price tag it certainly seems worth it. This is a new product and is starting out at a very favourable price point compared to something like the E-M5.

5. Azimuth

Azimuth Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    Thornbury, Victoria
    No. The G3 is still limited by the sensor output rate. The hack will make it a fine video camera, but the G5 has a higher output due to newer sensor technology and will make a superior video camera.

6. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Thom Hogan, who is generally positive about Panasonic products, wrote a pretty negative piece on the G5. I like the specs of the G5, but you might find the Hogan piece interesting reading. It's on sansmirror dot com.

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Here's the link.

I think it depends a lot on what you expected. The G5 is essentially a refinement of the G3. Given that the G3 was pretty good in most respects, I don't see that as a bad thing per se. The truth is that after the initial rush, progress always slows down. We've seen this with DSLRs and we're going to see it more with mirrorless now.

The main negative I see is that this is not a camera that's going to dramatically increase interest or sales for Panasonic. If you're where you want to be in the market, that's fine. But as a #4 or #5 player, that can be a problem.

DH

8. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I think Hogan's piece is garbage. It clearly was written based on the press release, and before many of the details of the camera came to light. For example, he implies it has just a slightly reworked version of the G3 sensor, which we now think is not true.

I think it's a fairly substantial upgrade over the G3. Is it earth shattering? No, but few things are. And I think it positions Panasonic much more competitively in the market, with many more features than the G3 can claim.

Absent IBIS, which Panasonic offsets with OIS, and weatherproofing, which most people really don't need, it actually compares pretty well to the OM-D at significantly less cost, and blows the Pens out of the water in IQ and ergonomics. It's got a far better interface (both physical and menu) than the NEX cameras, and a much better lens lineup.

Remember that Hogan's pieces are just one man's opinion, and his priorities are not the same as the average camera buyer's. Is this the high-end enthusiast camera many of us would like to see? No, but that's not what it's supposed to be. It does offer everything the majority of camera buyers will ever need and use, however.

The camera is fine. Where Panasonic really needs to do a better job is in marketing the camera. Ask the typical American what he thinks when you mention Panasonic and you're going to get TVs, phones and shavers. Tell those same people Panasonic makes cameras that can compete with Canon and Nikon DSLRs, and they'll think you're pulling their leg.

9. bluebubbleboy

bluebubbleboy Mu-43 Regular

Aug 12, 2011
    Colorado
    IMO, if you can hold off for a while I would. Panasonic seems to have a history of dramatically slashing the prices of their camera bodies after several months. Go with the G3 and wait for the G5 to come down. Invest more in lenses. :smile:

10. jayhawk92

jayhawk92 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 24, 2012
    I think this sounds like a plan.

I appreciate the advice all. I'm upgrading from a super slow nikon coolpix P&S. I would just wait half a year or so for G5 to come down in price, but baby is coming in Sept and we really want something that will take great pics and video of her right away. I think we'll probably get the G3 with knowledge that our lenses will translate to other :43: bodies if we feel the need later!

• Like Like x 1
  11. scott0487

scott0487 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2012
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Scott
    Just for me personally, it seems pretty compelling. I had an E-PL2, which I loved except for my need for the VF2 attachment (I really wanted the EVF to be integrated). I was considering a G3, but I like the ergonomics of the G5 and a number of its other features, and I already have a good start on lenses. Not sure it would make sense if you already had a G3, but otherwise, it has a good price point.

• Like Like x 1