1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G5 wheel?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by davidedric, Feb 12, 2014.

1. davidedric

davidedric Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2013
    Cheshire, UK
    Dave
    Is it just me? I find the G5 wheel a little stiff , and if I try too hard it "clicks" and moves into exp compensation mode. It sent me a little crazy till I realised what was going on!

• Like Like x 1
  2. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    It doesn't have much tactile feedback when you push it in, that's for sure. I never had any issue turning it though.

3. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    The click to change setting I find quite useful. I agree it doesn't have the best tactile experience, but functionally speaking I find the Lumix controls faultless.

4. jonlong

jonlong Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    The G6 is the same way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Toddster

Toddster Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Florida
    Todd Cleaver
    I realize that I'm a little late on commenting but I just came across this thread. The problem that you describe is the only thing that I hate about my G5. Yes hate is a strong word but I love the camera except that darn wheel. More often than not when I am adjusting shutter speed or aperture I find that I have pressed a little too hard and I am actually adjusting exposure. It drives me nuts! I have two G5 bodies and one is worse than the other. This variance may account for why it seems to bother some people more than others.

6. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    Mine is the stiff, but sensitive version too :mad:, other than that, it's a great camera.

7. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    I couldn't agree more - the control wheel on both the G5 and G6 is the one thing that really lets them down and badly affects the experience of using these two otherwise superb cameras
    Regards
    Rob

8. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    The daft thing is is that you have the toggle switch near the shutter, say if you were in aperture priority, you can control the aperture with the wheel and the toggle switch for exposure setting. If it only did that I could live with the somewhat stiff wheel, but no, press it a little to hard to get the wheel turning, it then changes to the exposure setting as well.........why??? or have I missed a trick somewhere?

9. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    The GX1 was the same. It took a while to get the feel of it, and the incidents of accidental press were minimized, but even after 1000s of shots I would still occasionally press when I intended to rotate.

10. davidedric

davidedric Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2013
    Cheshire, UK
    Dave
    On a thread elsewhere, I read another angle. One frustrated owner had taken his g5 back to the store to complain. The (much younger) assistant tried - and didn't have problem. They worked out that the young man regularly used hand lotion to keep his skin soft. On returning home the 'tog tried rubbing his wife's hand cream into his thumb and lo, temporarily at least, the wheel operated perfectly. You might guess that I, at least, am not in the first flush of youth.

11. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Hello,

I have both G5 and GX1, that use the same wheel system, and after the brief initial adaptation I found no problem using it.
    I love this system.
    Only thing that I complaint is that the wheel is a little too much plastic feel.

12. jonlong

jonlong Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    What about on the GH3? How do the wheels/controls feel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk