1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G5 v's GH3

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Triggertrevor, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Triggertrevor

Triggertrevor Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2013
    Hi all i've been trying to find a comparison thread between these 2 cameras but failed so i thought id ask you lot.

Is there a real big leap between these as i currently own a G5 and would like to jump up to the GH3.

I only take stills at the moment but would like to get into the video side in the future.

My main use for the camera is sports i.e football but i do shoot other stuff.

all thoughts on this would be great.

cheers Kev

2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I think you'll notice a significant difference. C-AF on the GH3 (and the G6) is noticeably faster than on the G5. Burst rate is faster, especially on Medium speed, which retains live view between shots. Dynamic range and noise in high-ISO / low-light shooting is noticeably better, too. Battery life is also better on the GH.

As for video, the GH3 offers much better capabilities in terms of frame rates, codecs, etc. I'm not a video guy, so I won't try to get technical, but I think it really depends on what you want to shoot video for. Typical shots of the family will probably be fine on the G5. If you want to try to get more professional quality output, the GH3 is a big step ahead.

The only downsides to the GH3, as far as I'm concerned are these:

Size and weight: The GH3 is undeniably bigger and heavier. But to me the larger size makes the ergonomics much better, so it's not really a disadvantage.

The EVF: Some people really dislike the one in the GH3 a lot. I don't think it's great, but I don't think it's awful. It's not nearly bad enough, to me, to override the other benefits the camera offers.

3. Triggertrevor

Triggertrevor Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2013
    Thanks for the heads up.

I like the bigger size to be honest and as long as the evf on the gh3 is as good as the g5 i'll be happy.

I thought about the em1 but i'm not really a great fan of its looks so its put me off even though i really like some of its features and its a bit pricey.

cheers Kev

4. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    What meyerweb said.

The EVF is clearer at the corners on the G5 - especially if you wear glasses. The rest of the benefits of the body/sensor outweigh that issue IMHO as I never use the viewfinder for anything critical - just framing and checking settings.