1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

g5 vs. ep3

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Uncle Frank, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    I own an Oly and a Panasonic. I prefer the ergos and convenience of the g5, and the jpeg renderings of the Oly ep3. Hopefully Oly or Panasonic will come out with a body that meets both criteria. I'm in no rush.This set was taken with the g5 + 45/1.8 after modifying the setup to give the jpegs more punch.

After today's morning trip to the gym, I had refreshments at Starbucks. My workout buddy and I sat at the outdoor patio, and I used the g5's articulated lcd to grab some stealthy snaps.

P1000425%20mr.

There was a beautiful creature at a neighboring table, and I asked permission to take his portrait.

P1000418%20mr.

His name is Hunter, and he is a mix of Chocolate Lab and Weimeraner. He came over for pets and praise while his owner told of rescuing him from a horrible situation in Mexico.

P1000422%20mr.

He was a wild 2 year old when she acquired him, but after a year of the good life, he is mellow, social, and very well behaved. I considered stealing him.

P1000421%20mr.

On the ride home, I found a colorful scene to test how closely the new g5 settings allowed it to mimic Oly jpegs. Not so much, but not too bad.

P1000433%20mr.

2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    The jpeg output of the G5 (and pretty much every other m43 camera) is almost endlessly configurable. Have you tried tweaking the settings to get them more like Oly's? I'd start by increasing saturation, as that seems to be what people love about "Oly color."

3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Why not just shoot raw and work up your own PP style to give the colo(u)rs you like?