1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

G5 vs. E-PL5 vs OMD

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by jime, Jan 19, 2013.

1. jime

jime Mu-43 Regular

Sep 3, 2012
    Jonestown Texas
    Just shipped my remaining Nikon equipment to Adorama for store credit and now I am stuck in a mental logic loop on what new camera to get. I currently have a E-PL1 that I love and will probably keep as a backup camera. Here is some of the thoughts running through my confused brain. (In no particular order)

1. Love the IBIS of Olympus and concerned that the G5 will limit me to only Panasonic lens.
    I currently have a P20 and P45-200 and the O14-42 kit lens and a Nikon 55mm f2.8 micro
    2. Love the OMD weather resistance, 5 axis IBIS, but it's the priciest option just when tax time is coming up and my credit cards are close to maxed out.
    3. Don't here much plus about the P14-42 kit lens and most feel the P14-45 is much better but doing that with a G5 body puts the price closer to the OMD with the 12-50 kit lens.
    4. My research says that image quality is the same among the 3 cameras with the right lens choice.
    5. Doing the E-PL5 means that I can use my extra batteries for this and PL1 and menu options would be similar plus PL5 has IBIS
    6. BUT I really like the look of the G5 and its inbuilt flash and VF. Also used to a camera with only lens IS having sold my D5100. Loved the D5100 and the G5 looks like its baby.
    7. BUT .... And .... But ...

Any HELP will be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

2. calieng

calieng Mu-43 Regular

Dec 20, 2011
    If you are going to use any non OIS lens then the OM-D is the best option. The E-PL5 IBIS does not work anywhere near as good. G5 image quality especially indoors is not as good as OM-D although if cost is an issue the G5 provides the best value. IMHO.

3. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    There's a 14-45mm here for $150. I saw an OMD here for $725 I think. But I guess you have to go thru Adorama.

4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    You haven't really outlined a specific budget, but I'd say my compromise would be to get the E-M5 body, refurbished, and add the 12-50 or 14-45 lens later if you find the need (there are tons of secondhand ones). It sounds like the E-M5 is closest to your ideal, cost aside.

I'd avoid the E-PL5 simply because I think the EVF, especially with long lenses, is essential. And once you add a good EVF (the VF-2) to the E-PL5, it's larger and more cumbersome than the E-M5, and not much less expensive.

The G5 is a great camera, but unless the electronic shutter and builtin flash are must-haves, I think the E-M5's edge in stabilization and image quality will probably serve you better.

An E-PL5 is $600. A refurbished E-M5 is $810. A G5 is $600.

5. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    The G5 is a better choise for you. In the short focal range the IBIS is not needed for the long end you already have OIS in the P45-200.

The G5 has a better handling then the Olympus, it is very comfortable in the hand, articulate screen, EVF...
    You are not forced to use only Panasonic lenses, only in the long focal end IBIS comes into play.
    I had the same dilemma few weeks ago and chose the G5 because of the great price performance ratio. There isn't any other camera in :43: with such performance at this price. The only other which is near is the G3 but it got limitation that i did not like.

6. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I have always felt that Panasonic G/GH series cameras are the most comfortable m43 bodies available (with the exception of the G3 which I found bit too small). Playing with the E-M5 recently has not changed that opinion. I also find the articulating screen on the G/GH series cameras to be a huge convenience in getting odd angle shots. All are good cameras but if it were my money I'd grab a G5 (probably body only) sell the O14-42 kit lens and pick up a P14-45 at some later point.

7. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I love an OMD + PEN combo. Since you already have the E-PL1, which is still a nice camera, you already have half of the combo. Dhazeghi raises a great point, having an EVF will great expand your shooting options. As much as I like the PEN series, the OMD is a much more versatile camera.

8. jime

jime Mu-43 Regular

Sep 3, 2012
    Jonestown Texas
    Thanks for all the great responses. If I ask myself the question "what pictures have I missed because I didn't have the right equipment?" I keep coming back to possible great shots in misty, foggy, damp conditions that I passed on for fear of getting my equipment wet. The OMD's weather sealing would resolve that issue plus give me the additional benefits that are discussed in the great responses above. So, for now, with your help, I've talked myself into the OMD with the 12-50 lens.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App