G5 Video Question

kevin boyer

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Kevin
I want to try shooting some video with my G5. I'm looking for some guidance as to what lens that I own, would work best for this application. I'll be videoing mountain bike footage.
My signature below shows my available lenses.

JoeV

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Joe Van Cleave
I've enjoyed using prime lenses, and in particular use exclusively manual focus with video. Nothing is more distracting than a lens autofocusing while recording video, making the scene "breathe" slightly in and out. Any of your primes would be good, I'd avoid the longer focal lengths and zooms. The Sigma 30 and both manual 50s would work great. I also use Minolta MD lenses on my G5.

Preset your focus prior to recording, and make sure you set the camera's aspect ratio to 16:9 ahead of time, so that you can compose the shot properly before hitting the red video button.

The G5 is a very competent video shooter, lacking only external mike inputs, but that hasn't been a limitation to me.

~Joe

kevin boyer

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Kevin
Thanks very much Joe. So in your estimation, for shooting mountain biking, what focus preset would you recommend? Also, do I set the 16:9 aspect ratio by going into output choice in the setup menu?

Kevin.

BillW

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Bill
The G5 will automatically shoot video in 16:9 but in order to frame your shot, select the image size in your quick menu. most of your lenses should work, depending upon the space you have to work with and the look you're after....wide or compressed with tele lenses.
You can pre-focus on where you expect the action to be, but in the end, it will be trial and error to find what works and looks good to you.
Good luck!

Latest threads

Top Bottom