G5 very slow processing and recording to SD card

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by jrsilva, May 20, 2013.

1. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Hello,

I'm a user of the G system for about 2 years by now.
    I've started back in 2011 with a G1 that I still keep as a back up camera.
    I've always shoot using RAW+Fine JPG setting with my G1 and now with the G5.
    Now with the G5 the time the camera take to record the pictures to the SD card is annoying me.
    If I shoot about 4 or 5 consecutive pictures the camera blocks me from shooting for about at least 20 seconds. No matter I press the shutter button it wont allow me to take any more pictures until it processes and saves the pictures to the SD card.
    This makes me lose a lot of picture opportunities.
    It happens on single shoot mode, so you can imagine if you set to burst mode it could get even worst. I take a series of 5 or 6 photos and better wish I got one of them good enough because I may not have the chance to try shooting again right after that burst shoot.
    Mainly I do bird photography and it is very frustrating when I take 4 or 5 pictures and then the bird stands right the way I want... but pressing the shutter button one more time will do nothing!

It happens that even about 15 to 20 seconds or more after taking some photos when I switch to Play mode the camera is still processing the images and does not allow me to review the pictures.
    My G1 camera also have some limitation regarding the process and recording of information to the card due to the buffer of the camera, but not this way. It rarely let them down.

I've gave up using a Class 10 - 20MB/s SD card and start using a Class 10 - 45MB/s SanDisk Extreme SD card but the results are the same. I don't see any difference...

Did Panasonic increased the pixel count of the sensor (and consecutively the file size) but not increased the buffer processing power?

I'm considering change to a Olympus OM D because of this limitation.
    Are any other G5 users experiencing the same, or this could be a malfunction of my camera?

2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    I have a G5 and G2 and do not have such a problem. You should check the SD card. I suggest to format it in the camera.

Sent from my HTC One S using Mu-43 mobile app

3. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Thank's for reply elavon.

As I told, I've purchased a new SanDisk Extreme 45MB/s card but it performs the same way as the old one...

4. ConChuot

ConChuot Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    I have same problem on my G5 too. I just got the G5 recently. I have tried different class 10 SD cards and reformat the cards but it does not improve. Still looking for solution.

5. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    I have tested this on my G in burst using RAW only it takes 7 shots in the first second then the next is taken after additional 4 seconds. After that it takes pictures in a frequency of 2 seconds.

Total in about 12 seconds it took 11 pictures.
    I changed to RAW+fine JPG and got the same results as you got 5 pictures and sixth only after 6 seconds. This also refereed in the user manual page 89.
    If you do not need the JPG try using plain RAW it will speed your burst.

6. MingTyhMaa

MingTyhMaa Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2012
    Lafayette, CA
    Ming-Tyh Maa
    I've noticed the same thing on my G5 as well with the fastest Class 10 cards. I thought the speed of the card was mostly for quick copying of the images from a card reader onto your PC, and much less so the ability to take burst shots in the camera, which depends on the built-in buffer size.

7. dwrk

dwrk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012
    i just gave my g5 away so cant test it out for you...

i do recall if the card was formatted by other cameras or has pictures from other cameras that reading and writing speed can be affected

i'd suggest formatting the card in the G5 and also try out other cards...sometimes a fast card isn't really fast depending on how the controllers interact...e.g., i'm using class 4 shooting videos without problems...

also check around that what you're getting is the limit of the burst speed...

8. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    I don't have this issue with mine at all. I tested shooting burst Raw 5 shots, and it was about 5 sec later they were all written to card. If I fill the buffer, like elavon said, it was about 2 sec between shots until I stopped.

9. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    I have this problem too and its hard to believe. I use Sandisk UHS-I 30mb/s cards.

I get about 5-7 shots then full lockup for 12-15 second (estimate) it is really annoying and hard to believe others hadn't noticed something so awful. I wonder if its related to the card? I also format in camera.

10. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime

That's exactly what is happening to me.
    I don't believe it is related to the card. I've purchased a SanDisk Extreme 45MB/s just to see if it gets any better. It does not.
    It is very annoying when you are photographing a subject that could move on at any minute and you risk to miss the perfect shoot.

11. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    It's a known issue. I'm pretty sure the buffer isn't big enough. Perhaps the G6 will have a larger buffer.

12. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime

That's what I was suspecting...

13. BigOwl

BigOwl Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    Al
    I tried to evaluate this effect with my G5. I got exactly the same response as others have described when recording RAW files, maybe seven to nine in a burst before shutting down. There did not seem to be a limit when recording only jpeg's. Apparently the processor can keep up when the files are smaller. I set the camera to manual exposure and manual focus, thinking maybe that would reduce response time compared to auto modes.

14. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Yes, I believe this happens when shooting RAW.
    What make me disappointed is that I didn't face this problem with my old G1.
    I know G5 needs to process bigger files due to is bigger resolution sensor, but the buffer processing power should have also been improved, and it doesn't seam to be the case...

15. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I shoot G2 and G5 and the G5 definitely takes longer to write RAW files. Although it's never caused me to miss a shot, I never shoot long bursts of anything anyway. The G5 is definitely not a spray and pray camera. Time your shots better I guess.

16. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Have made a few tests.
    Shooting in RAW + Fine JPG or RAW + Standard JPG does not make much of a difference.
    But shooting only on JPG does not reduce processing performance. You can keep shooting until the card is full.
    The limitation arrises only if one choose RAW format.

17. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    Yes, JPEG shooting really has no practical limit. But to my eyes, the G5 is best shot RAW and then Huelight profiles applied...which is fine except for this buffer problem.

The problem is somewhat improved if you shoot RAW, and not RAW+JPG. The more annoying part is being locked out of Review mode as well, or from being able to start video recording. Try and shoot children in RAW and it becomes a total exercise in frustration when the moments unfold in front of you and you are frantically waiting for the buffer to flush...

18. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    I made the test shooting with RAW only. It's a small difference from shooting RAW + JPG ( I think you can get one or two more pictures before the camera locks for the buffer to empty).
    I never shoot on JPG only.
    I also prefer to shoot RAW because I can fine tune the pictures to my flavor and remove noise without loosing image quality.

I know exactly what you mean...in my case they are birds instead of children.

19. ethernitz

ethernitz New to Mu-43

Oct 25, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    I've also seen this issue, not the card here either, tried several.

20. AndrewS

AndrewS Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    The GH3 will shoot 28 RAW frames in 6 seconds , burst M, AFC. This camera has a much faster processor and larger buffer than the G5. In single shot mode, AFS, with AF on each frame, the GH3 will shoot about 2 RAW frames per second pretty much indefinitely, or until the card fills anyway.