G5 using Jpeg - share your settings

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by mazg, Sep 24, 2013.

1. mazg

mazg Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    I am a new G5 user. I am still playing around with my setting to try to optimize my SOOC images. I've seen several references to the G5 not producing SOOC images as good as the Olympus and that you have to play around with the settings quite a bit.

As there are a lot of settings in the G5, I thought I'd ask what other settings are good ones to change from the default besides saturation and sharpness?

Anyone care to share their settings? It would be great if you could also share a sample image so we can see the results.

Thanks in advance.

• Like Like x 1
  2. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    I just got a G5 and did some snooping around. I found the following-

For color, adjust AWB as follows: 2 or 3 clicks left (amber), 1 click down (magenta). This should supposedly get the color to be somewhat more 'Olympus-like'. I find the colors pretty good with those tweaks.

For adjusting the film modes, I find almost all cameras overdo sharpening, contrast, and noise reduction. So I turn sharpening down 1 or 2, contrast down 1 or 2, and noise reduction down 2 in all the modes.

Finally, I found the following tip for black and white (GX1, but should be almost the same for G5)-
    "I have tried for years to get a decent monochrome exposure out of the Olympus Pens, and for my uses I've been pretty dissatisfied. And then, on a whim, I set the GX1 to Monochrome Photo Style, and further tweaked the following settings: Contrast -1, Sharpness +1, Saturation -1, and Noise Reduction -2.

It took a few times to reach those settings, but once there I realized I'd finally found a decent monochrome ยต4:3rds body. Coupled with the 1.7/20mm and I suddenly had a pretty decent "artsy" camera that more than satisfied my wants. I love the deep blacks that come out of the GX1 instead of the muddy darks that the Olympus produces."
    http://www.thewsreviews.com/2013/05/panasonic-lumix-dmc-gx1-silver-part-1.html

I just got it the other day so don't have samples. But I like the camera so far! It's a battle between the great feature set of the G5, and the compact body of the GX1. I recently got both, and am going to keep one. I actually like how the G5 looks, but I like compact.

• Like Like x 3
  3. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    I'm at
    AWB +2 amber
    Sharpness +1 or +2, depends on the subject/or ISO
    STD color, Sat +2
    Noise Reduction 0
    iContrast High
    iResolution Off

Seems to get very close to my EPL-1. iResolution is what initially made me crazy. It was making all the images look like they came out of a Kodak P&S, soft textures and ridiculous edge sharpening. People looked like cardboard cutouts.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    The primary solution for me was to NOT allow auto white balance.
    After that, I mean after forcing a specific whitebalance for each outing (like my old E-1) it behaved very well using "scenery" film mode with no more tweaks.
    So for me, "scenery" all the time, usually "Daylight" whitebalance,
    always RAW + Jpeg.

Of fudge, that's for the G3, I never had a G5 ... I'll get me coat.

• Like Like x 2
  5. BillW

BillW Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    Scranton, PA
    I shoot mine in standard jpg mode and select or customize my white balance accordingly.
    Results are excellent. All my shots go through Lightroom, and I will adjust contrast, exposure and sharpness as needed / if needed.
    I use my G5 for professional use and have NO complaints about what I get out of it.
    Keep in mind I will always try to nail my exposure and WB to eliminate as much post as possible.

• Like Like x 2
  6. mazg

mazg Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    Thanks for the suggestions. Interesting how the amber has come up a couple of times. I've not heard this mentioned before.

7. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    I've just got my G5. For colour I have selected scenery mode, i-resolution to off, i-dynamic standard, L-noise reduction to off, contrast 0, sharpening +2, saturation 0, noise reduction -2. Will be adjusting the white balance and exposure to the given conditions. Sad to see that the panasonic still has the AWB of a drunken sailor.

• Like Like x 1
  8. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    I think AWB actually got worse from the GX1 to the G5, at least indoor...

• Like Like x 1
  9. jhawk1000

jhawk1000 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 30, 2013
    Kansas
    I have had my G5 for about 2 months. I have had an Olympus E-PL1 for over a year. There is no comparison of the ooc jpegs. Olympus wins going away. I will try some of these fixes but I have started shooting raw which is not ideal since I really do not like the Panasonic supplied converter. My editor of choice is Nikon Capture NX2 and it does not see the Panasonic raw files. Lightroom does but I do not like lightroom. I downloaded a new free editor named Ableraw which seems to work okay. There is a world of difference in shots in RAW, converted to TIFF or JPEG after processed in either lightroom or ableraw than jpegs. While jpegs are great out of the camera from Olympus. I have to massage the dickens out of them to make the Panasonic jpegs look stellar.

10. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Well, I think I'm going to throw the towel in on jpegs from this camera. This is a first for me, I usually end up trying to make my raws look like the jpegs for most other cameras. With the G5, some days/lighting conditions, the G5 makes great jpegs, other days, its atrocious. WB is definitely a key culprit but so is DR/shadow compensation and contrast in general. Its like the camera is over thinking.

11. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Bah... now having issues with some raws with strong CA, seems the G5 does an infinitely better job at correcting CA than Silkypix or Lightroom.

12. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    Sorry to hear you are having problems, what lenses are you using?
    Lightroom CA remover works well for me.

13. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    The Panny 20mm, certain situations (less than ideal light for sure) create horrible CA, which LR makes better, but not nearly as good as in camera. In fact the whole photo seems to suffer, just seems soft no matter how much I sharpen in SP or LR, but SOOC jpeg is tack sharp.

14. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    Short answer - don't shoot jpeg.

Buy LR and learn to automate the default values per ISO valyes.

Creating an automated flow in Lightroom FOR EACH ISO setting is easy and will save you a lot of time (and anguish) fixing poor wb, murky colors etc. from ooc jpegs.

You might think it's a lot of work but in the end it takes less effort than tweaking jpegs and fixing them (with olympus you need much less fixing. panasonics are notorious for poor ooc jpegs).

15. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    Yehuda,
    There is a near consensus that RAW and Lightroom are the way to go. You mind sharing your defaults at different ISO settings? I made a separate thread for this, as I'm a Lightroom newbie and want to get my workflow to a point where doing RAW through Lightroom is nearly as fast as using out-of-camera jpegs from my old Olympus. Here's the other thread:
    https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=54344

16. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    Sure. But I'm preoccupied with a million other things now...

Send me a reminder on Friday, OK?

• Like Like x 1
  17. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    Will do! I love the handling/ergonomics of the G5, now I just want to get my photos to look as good as I can with as little fuss as possible. Seeing how you do it would be awesome.

18. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    OK.

I finally got to my computer (and not for work :) ) so here are some of my stuff for LR and PS.
    The attached zip file contains 2 folders: PS and LR.

the LR folder needs to be copied to the path given in the text file. It contains presets for all ISO settings for the G5 as I set them.
    Take note: I use the standard color profile for the G5 and not the Adobe color profile. I bought this color profile from colorfidelity.com (I am not affiliated to him and gain nothing by advertising his profile) and under the export option in LR I use the sharpen 50 droplet (appears under my LR\export actions folder).
    What you basically need to do here is:
    Use a tripod and your best lens and take photos of the same scene at all ISOs (HAVE THE SAME APERTURE ON ALL IMAGES) of the G5. Shoot in RAW of course.
    Import all the RAW files to LR and use the develop palette.
    Go to EDIT-->PREFERENCES-->Presets and make sure that both 'make defaults specific to camera serial number' and 'make defaults specific to camera ISO settings' are both ticked.
    Now - click on each image of the images you shot and choose my preset for that ISO (I would advise to first have the colorfidelity profiles installed and working) and the colorfidelity profile selected.
    After you chose the correct preset, before you move to the next image hold the ALT button (you're still in develop module) and you'll see the button Reset at the bottom right switches to Set Default...
    By doing this to all the images you created defaults settings per ISO setting for all your G5 RAW images in the future.
    Now all that's left is to add the photoshop action to the Export->User Presets (this of course requires Photoshop installed) and you're all set!

All these settings were tweaked by me to achieve very similar color, noise levels and general look between all ISOs (the very high ISO are very muddy and I had to dial down yellow hue and saturation gradually for them, for instance).

The PS folder contains an action file (.atn) which you simply double click and then Photoshop loads (if it wasn't loaded) and the action will appear in your actions palette.
    This is the best sharpening action I know and it works locally in a way I cannot manage to achieve in LR.
    It's the same one in the droplet - just in case you want to use it for general stuff in PS. I would like to give credit to the author but don't remember where I got it from.

Enjoy and happy shooting!

View attachment G5_LR_Presets_and_PS_SHARPEN_ATN.zip

• Like Like x 1
  19. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    In case this wasn't understood from my post - the extra sharpening with the PS droplet makes a very big difference and is an essential final step in my automated workflow.

20. SilenX

SilenX Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2013
    Matt
    Could you elaborate a bit more for people using an Apple computer - i.e. file copy/paste paths.

Also the Ps method is interesting and I'm hoping yields better results than Lr but I'm not quite sure how to "add the Ps action to the Export -> User Presets".

Another question I have after reading your post quite a few times over is do we need to take our own sample shots at varying ISOs but static apertures? It seems that in the included .zip there are Lr templates for every ISO...

I also have no clue where the "sharpen 50 droplet" is in the Export options in Lr. When I head to File -> Export there are options for Output Sharpening for "Screen, Matte Paper, and Gloss Paper" with levels of "Low, Standard, and High".

I thought I had a good working knowledge of Ps and Lr until now, I suppose not.