G5 Users..Video Setting Question

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by kevin boyer, Oct 18, 2013.

1. kevin boyer

kevin boyer Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2013
    Bozeman MT / Winder GA
    Kevin
    I've been "learning" all the multitude of settings that the G5 has to offer over the last 3 days and have a question in regards to the video formats that the G5 offers. It shows 7 different formats...

AVCHD
    PSH

AVCHD
    FSH

AVCHD
    FPH

AVCHD
    SH

MP4
    FHD

MP4
    HD

MP4
    VGA

For any of you that are using G5 for video, what setting are you using and why? I'm sort of at a loss right now trying to figure it out.

Kevin.

2. AcinonyxRex

AcinonyxRex Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 17, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Steve
    Kevin,

Based on a bit of research and personal testing, I've been using AVCHD FPH. I prefer the slight motion blur of 30p. If you do not have a program that will do native AVCHD editing, I would recommend MP4 FHD. MP4 is a bit more straightforward to edit in programs like iMovie. Either one looks great.

Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the formats, except maybe VGA. Everything else will look just fine on your HD TV or computer monitor. If it's intended for computer consumption only, I'd say that 720 would be more than sufficient.

Attached is a screenshot of the G5 Manual showing all the video options.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  3. kevin boyer

Sep 26, 2013
    Bozeman MT / Winder GA
    Kevin
    Thanks Steve. When you say "manual" what are you referring to? I don't see any page like the one you posted in my basic owners manual. I have Pinnacle Studio 14 for my video editing software.

Kevin.

4. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    If you're a video novice I would suggest using MP4 FHD for good 1080 video quality combined with easy playback on your computer and easy video editing. Especially if you play and edit video on Apple computers.

For very slightly higher video quality use AVCHD PSH but it will be more complicated to locate and work with the AVCHD movie files and the files will be twice as large, hence much more combersome to work with.

• Like Like x 1
  5. kevin boyer

Sep 26, 2013
    Bozeman MT / Winder GA
    Kevin
    Thanks M4/3. I'm not an Apple user, PC for me. I did have it set for MP4 FHD to start with, but thought I would ask here to see what kind of advice I would get. As I stated above, I have Pinnacle Studio 14 for video editing, although I haven't spent much time with it. Would MP4 HD, and AVCHD PSH and FPH work in Windows Movie Maker?

Kevin.

6. AcinonyxRex

AcinonyxRex Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 17, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Steve
    The "Advanced User's Manual" is in PDF format on one of the CD's that came with your camera. I've copied mine over to my desktop for easy reference when I need it.

Pinnacle Studio 14 I think will do native AVCHD but a bit of research shows it doesn't seem to handle large AVCHD files particularly well. Your mileage may differ of course.

Should you decide to change/upgrade, I'd highly recommend Premiere Elements. I use it on my Mac and it has a large user base with lots of tutorials and expertise available. Additionally, it works flawlessly for me.

The latest version of Windows Movie Maker does support AVCHD with some caveats:

Windows Movie Maker FAQ

Hope this helps!

7. kevin boyer

Sep 26, 2013
    Bozeman MT / Winder GA
    Kevin
    That helps very much Steve. I haven't installed the CD's yet. I just received my G5 3 days ago so I've been pouring over it trying to get a "feel" for it. I'll definitely install the CD's immediately. It looks like Windows Movie Maker will support AVCHD, but not in the FPH or PSH format if I understand it correctly. It looks like WMM will support MP4 though.

Kevin.