1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G5 Users Question

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by dezignman, Aug 19, 2012.

1. dezignman

dezignman Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 4, 2012
    I know it's a bit premature but I was wondering how the DR compares with the OMD? Or, for users of the G3 (GX1) and GH2 do you find an improvement in DR? My understanding is that it's a modified GH2 sensor and I was wondering if Panasonic was able to get more DR.

Thanks.

2. michaeln

michaeln Guest

3. dezignman

dezignman Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 4, 2012
    I've been pretty much out of commission for a week and I didn't see that. Thanks!

4. dezignman

dezignman Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 4, 2012
    What I added to that thread...

Originally Posted by Narnian:
    If the raw performance differences are so minimal, then why did't the GX1 get better reviews? I am puzzled.

Originally Posted by phrenic:
    Or conversely why was the em5 so acclaimed? Maybe more the convergence of design, sealing, ibis plus mostly comparable IQ?

I think it's all about marketing the specific product. By that I mean the complete picture: image, timing, and communicative style. Olympus did a better job than Panasonic in that respect. Olympus reached out to photographers with a unique message–and it worked. The design of the OMD in conjunction with the ad campaign gets to the heart of those seeking the "retro" look–subliminally brings back those "real" photography days and good memories of them. The weather sealing reinforced the DSLR concept. And, there is the magic of IBIS. IBIS was one of the main reasons I bought an OMD, but there are unresolved issues (and, in some cases, required work arounds) with IBIS and certain lenses, and at certain shutter speeds, it seems due to shutter shock. There's also the Panny 20mm lockup issue, the rattlesnake issue with the Panny 25mm, etc. I ended up sending my OMD back for now, and I am considering the G5.

I think the Panasonic GX1 and G3 are 2 of the most recent underrated cameras.

5. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    Not used a GX1 but can certainly vouch for the G3 it's a gem and now there's the G5 as well.

Paul

6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Plus, I think, the OM-D really was a dramatic advance over the Pens in almost every respect, so for Oly users it merited much of the hype. But in most respects the OM-D was simply Oly catching up to what Panasonic provided. OM-D IBIS is better than Pen IBIS--but pretty much equal in performance to OIS.

There have certainly been enough comparisons that indicate that the OM-D does have lower noise at high ISO, and better DR, than the GH2, G3 and GX-1. But as I've been saying since well before the OM-D was announced, the DR of current cameras is more than sufficient for most things. The advantage of the OM-D only shows up in fairly extreme circumstances.

In most situations, you'd be hard pressed to tell of any of the above mentioned cameras recorded the image.

7. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    There was a great thread where someone compared the DR of the GH2 (which seems to have the same sensor as the G5) with the OM-D with some outdoor shots under a bridge with an overcast sky. So, um, go look for that.

My impression was that in terms of DR, the world of micro four thirds looks something like this;

OM-D > G5 and GH2 > G3 and GX1 > 12mp Bodies

8. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I would argue that when choosing between the G5 or the E-M5, or whatever else in this format, one will benefit most from basing that decision on such factors as ergonomics, feel in the hand, certain individual features that would be most relevant to a particular photographer, and price. The differences in the IQ and DR between the top models is slight and comparatively insignificant when looking at the importance of form, feel, ergonomics, etc. To make a choice based on a slight difference in DR rather than based on other factors would be a mistake, in my view.

9. Unfortunately that comparison doesn't answer the question of dynamic range. For anyone who doesn't have the camera they really need to look through sample images, although that is highly dependant on the how each individual photographer is dealing with shadows and highlights and contrast in general.

From what I've seen so far it looks more promising than it's immediate predecessors.

10. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    The G5 sensor is new, and not the same as the GH2 sensor (according to Panasonic, both in their advertising and in reply to an email I sent them). How it compares for dynamic range is an unknown at the moment, as far as I know.

11. I think that you might have missed a camera out of this list.

12. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I don't think the GH2 is ahead of the G3 or GX1.

13. mfj197

mfj197 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2012
    Guildford, UK
    Michael
    The GH2 has wider dynamic range than the G3/GX1 at base ISO. It was the one area of the G3/GX1 sensor that isn't stellar - in pretty much any other respect it's neck-and-neck between it and the GH2, and in fact has slightly higher dynamic range than the GH2 at higher ISO.

According to the techradar test here the G5 has much better dynamic range than the G3 at base ISO. It's an area that is important for me as I tend to lift the shadows quite a bit for landscape work. Unfortunately having seen both the techradar chart (compare with the E-M5 here) and the quick dynamic range test in another thread here (see DHart's test here) I have to say the E-M5 is rather better than the G5 in this respect. The E-M5 has just over 13 EV of dynamic range at base ISO compared to 12 for the G5 (and compared to less than 10 for the G3), but the E-M5 keeps that dynamic range as the ISO increases - at ISO1600 the G5 has 8.5 EV dynamic range, the G3 the same, and the E-M5 12.5 EV.

14. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    You can't really trust the marketing from camera companies, they say every camera has a new sensor and new processing and new everything. From everything I've read, it's performance and specifications are largely identical to the GH2's sensor. So it should have better DR than most m43 cameras, but not quite as good as the OM-D.

15. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    And I have a post that says it is the same. If it isn't "the same" it is likely very, very close with some minor tweaks around the edges to bring some stuff onboard. See: http://www.lumixlifestyle.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=2783&p=111158#p111158

16. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Consensus seems to be that it's a "tweaked" GH2 sensor (which isn't too bad at all).

17. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    Dons test wasn't reliable as he converted the G5 raw to a tiff in Silkypix then processed the tiff in LR where the EM5's raw file was processed directly in LR so it wasn't comparing apples with apples, it been proven that Silkypix conversion can limit the DR.

Paul

18. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    The link to LUMIX Lifestyle attached on the above post includes an email from 'Sarah' at 'admin' at Panasonic
    She apparently confirms that the sensor in the G5 is the same as the GH2
    This would seem to be conclusive assuming that the source can be trusted
    Perhaps Panasonic's justification for saying that the sensor is new elsewhere is that the Sensor from the GH2 has been modified and improved slightly
    It would make very good sense for them to have re used an existing sensor rather than going to the expense of developing a completely new one

19. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    It's all a bit baffling! I directly asked Panasonic UK whether it was a new sensor or the same as in the GH2, and they answered that it was a new sensor. If it is the same sensor, then I don't understand some of the differences to the GH2:
    - The G5 supports the 'sensor on' (silent shutter) mode, but the GH2 doesn't. I'm pretty sure they would have included this on the GH2 if it was possible.
    - The GH2 has a multi aspect ratio sensor (the sensor width is greater for, say 16:9 images than for 4:3 images), the G5 doesn't (16:9 images are just a crop of the 4:3 image). Again, I can't see why the G5 sensor is not multi aspect if it's capable of it. Maybe just for marketing reasons, but it doesn't seem all that likely.

This seems most likely to me.

20. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    I thought the G5 was multi-aspect capable? At least, looking at the resolutions it's capable of shooting at on DPReview seems to confirm this. As for the silent shutter, I guess that's more about how data is pulled off the sensor than the sensor itself.

*edit*

Just looked now, seems to have been corrected.