1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G5 to supplement an EM1?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by anthonyrc, Oct 23, 2015.

1. anthonyrc

anthonyrc Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    I am jumping ship from a Canon 5Dii to an EM1. Just getting to grips with those menus :)
    As a semi-semi pro travel photographer I want to lighten my load. On a recent trip to Cuba the Canon played up and I shot my wife's G3, just got by. In switching my initial thoughts were to go for a pair of EM1s with wide and longer lenses "glued on" but taking a reality check the long lens camera will be doing a few detail shots and compressed perspective landscapes and will be mainly there just in case. I have been wondering about whether to get a G5 body to reduce investment. For some upcoming trips the G3 will also be coming along with Liz. Between us our lens selection will be O12-40, O12-50, Sam 7.5, P14-45 and something from P14, P20, P45-150, P45-200.

For what I'm proposing should I get another G3, 5 or 6?, Remembering that for anything critical I can swap wide/long to the EM1. Am I losing much between G5 and G6. G5 bodies look like a bargain at present. I'm also considering getting a P45-175 to replace one or both long lenses.

Tony

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Why 12-40 and 12-50 and 14-45? I'd think just the 12-40 and either the 12-50 or 14-45 would do (probably the 14-45 due to OIS). I do recommend the 45-175 in place of the 45-150 and 45-200 - it's better in every way compared to the 45-200 (you won't miss the little difference in reach), and unlike the 45-150 it doesn't extend.

As far as bodies, you could also consider a used E-M5 (with a grip if needed), they're also very nicely priced now, and still basically current generation as far as sensor goes. I would either go this route and have a similar operation and same battery to your E-M1, or go with a G and have similar operation and battery to your wife's G3. All of these have the same 1.44M dot EVF.

3. anthonyrc

anthonyrc Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Thanks. The 14-45 lives on my wife's G3 and the extra 12-50 will be useful for its near-macro and when some discretion is required. I like the power zoom for video. That's also a factor with the G5, video versatility compared with the EM5 and whether the 45-175 power zooms on Oly bodies. I prefer the grip shape on the G5 also which goes back to the G1 which Liz had, fits my hand better than the G3 which is always getting. Not a bolt on grip fan, a factor in my choice of EM1 over EMG. EM5 body prices are straying into G6 territory...

Tony

4. fritsk

fritsk Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2014
    What wijang replied. I have both the G5 and the E-M5.
    While the G5 is a very nice camera. I only use it as a backup camera. And as such don't use it very much.

Go for the E-M5 if the money difference is no issue. The IBIS and weathersealing is invaluable imho...

5. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The PZ works fine on Olympus bodies btw (I used it on my old E-M5 and now the E-M1). Fair enough about the grip though. And yeah, if you do video... I like the video from my GM5 better than that from my E-M1...

6. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    I have a G5. I bought it two years ago because it was cheaper than the E-M5. I knew I was making some sacrifices, most notably with IBIS, out of camera jpegs, lack of weather proofing, and a slightly worse sensor.

In your case, I'm guessing jpegs don't matter (since you are a semi semi pro) and the IBIS is less critical than it might otherwise be, because most of your zoom lenses are Panasonics with OIS and your primes are wide and fast. That leaves weather proofing and the sensor as the big advantages of the E-M5 over the G5. Meanwhile, the G5 has somewhat better video and ergonomics which you mentioned both have value to you. The G5 also has a fully articulated screen (which I use a lot for portraits of my children).

From what I recall, the G6 had better video support and allowed connecting an external microphone, but since I didn't care much about video, I got the G5, which as a still camera was essentially the same as the G6. Another G6 advantage was focus peaking, though I only rarely manually focus.

I guess I don't really have a recommendation for you except to say you should think about these factors. I really like my G5 and have decided that an E-M5 isn't enough of an upgrade that I will do so. However, I am lusting after an E-M10 ii or E-M5 ii, mainly for the IBIS.

7. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    I noticed you have a Panasonic 20mm, as do I. One of the reasons I haven't been quite so eager to upgrade from my G5 to an E-M5 is the reports that the 20mm performs slightly better on Panasonic bodies, especially at higher ISO, where banding can appear on the E-M5. There's been a recent conversation on the topic (related to photographing children with the 20mm). For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure that people say this is not an issue on the E-M1, since the E-M1 uses a different sensor that plays better with the 20mm.

Different people seem to have had different experiences with this banding problem on the E-M5 with the 20mm and some people also claim the lens focuses a bit faster on Panasonic cameras. If this lens is key for you this might be a consideration or you might request more feedback about the issues before going with an E-M5.

8. anthonyrc

anthonyrc Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    After having a think, started to gravitate towards a G6 and snagged one this evening on Ebay for less than I expected.

9. anthonyrc

anthonyrc Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Well my mint G6 arrived and I think I made the right choice. When I set out on my downsize I envisaged a pair of EM1s but I think the different features of the two brands complement each other and will get more equal (but different use). For example, I prefer the EM foldout LCD for street shooting but just had a try-out of a self modelled lifestyle shoot (me cooking) with the G screen turned forward. With MF and focus peaking much easier to set up the shot than when I was using my Canon. It does steepen the learning curve though like trying to learn Italian and Spanish at the same time. Just discovered that my tilt adapter will fit the G6, it fouls the overhang of the faux prism on the EM1. I am weakening on keeping the 5Dii and 24-105 for occasional use as I do some cycle sport photography and not sure I can adapt to vf blackout.

10. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    Congrats: You will have fun with it... But why not the GM1... or GM5...

11. anthonyrc

anthonyrc Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Many reasons for a G6, flash shoe, grip, balance with long lens, big viewfinder, controls at fingertips (not mad about the position and feel of rear wheel though), and looking like someone you might pay to shoot their wedding.

12. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    The last sentence is very important... I have G5,6&7 and the GM´s They are great for traveling - and the downside on the GM5 is the slowest shutter speed of 1/50s....