G5 successor wish list

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by DynaSport, Jan 6, 2015.

1. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Let me start off by saying that I really like my G5. In fact the more I use it the more I like it. But I have run into some issues that I would like addressed when I buy my next camera. First, I'd like better high ISO performance. I know this isn't a strength of the M43 system, but I would like an improvement there. Next, I'd like better AF-C tracking. I know, not a mirrorless strong suit, but manufacturers are making strides there as well. Finally, I'd like a bigger buffer for so I can take more shots before it fills up and a quicker processor so the buffer clears faster when it does get full. I know the GH4 has better tracking and a bigger buffer, I'm not sure about better high ISO performance. I'd prefer those features in a body more the size of the G5 than the GH4, but perhaps I am wanting too much. What do you think the odds are there will even be a G7 and if there is, that it will address those areas?

Outside of those issues, however, the G5 is about perfect for me. And I can work with those limitations.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    GH4 definitely has better high ISO than G5. If you don't want to pay GH4 prices, GX7 is pretty close for much less. GH3 probably too, but I couldn't abide by that viewfinder.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    I'd love to see the stills shooting abilities of the GH4 (sensor, improved AF tracking) in a G5 or G6 body. I'm not fussed about video.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    I'm an happy G5 user.
    After using it for one year I think I've pushed it to it's maximum possible performance.
    I'm not a professional but I'm a perfectionist and I try to get the best from my gear, so I've started to feel some limitations on the G5 (limited Buffer, ISO performance).
    I have never felt the Panasonic G6 was a really successor of the G5. I don't think it brings much more over the G5 (apart from NFC and Focus Peaking). Maybe that's the reason why it was not succeeded over the G5 and it's not selling as Panasonic expected.
    The Panasonic G5 feels more solid and well build than the G6.
    The G6 feels a bit like a cheap plastic toy camera.

I'm not the kind of costumer for the GH4 and I prefer a camera like the G5 (trusty mini DSLR style, good grip, articulated LCD and feature-rich).
    My expectations are the same as Dan: I hope to see a G7 more on the line of the G5, but with better buffer and ISO performance and if possible the same IBIS as the GX7.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I too would enjoy a bigger buffer for my G5 but hey, you work with what you have or can afford.

Apart from that, I have no other performance issues (camera-wise). :thumbup:
    • Like Like x 1
  6. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    Whoa - slow down guys, I've not even started using my G5 yet :smile::rolleyes:

I bought mine in clearance last summer, but there was another expensive item that I needed (ok, wanted) at that time, and the W.I.F.E. (Withholds Income From Expenditure) 'suggested' that one purchase must become my Christmas present and would be put away until December. Having 2 other cameras, I said that I'd give up the G5 for now. I was looking forwards to getting my hands my G5 for so long. Christmas Day was busy with family, and on the 26th, man-flu struck me down. This one is vicious and has a vice like grip that unfortunately still has the better of me, so up to now, I've taken just a few indoor shots in not the best of lighting. I've gone through the menus and settings time after time, but as yet, I'm still not well enough to venture outdoors with it :frown:

The camera replaced my much loved G2, and it seems a fantastic upgrade, but the one thing that still disappoints me is the evf performance at lower light. Its better than the G2, but still not quite where I'd like it to be. Both cameras are ok in video mode, but in still mode when it's trying to gain up the display, I find it annoying compared to an OVF.

I've not used a hybrid EVF, but think it sounds like an interesting feature, with many possibilities if implemented correctly.

7. Toddster

Toddster Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Todd Cleaver
    I shoot with both a G5 and a G6; I love shooting with both cameras.

In addition to focus peaking and NFC the G6 has a bigger (or faster, or both) buffer, I certainly get more RAW shots and the buffer then clears much faster than the painfully slow wait on the G5. One other thing I think they improved is a little more space to keep your palm away from inadvertently hitting the buttons on the back. That said I have added a small bit of Sugru on both to further prevent the accidental changes in settings and to improve the feel of the grip just a bit.

My top wish list for a G7 has nothing to do with image quality:
    1. Improve the rear control wheel. On both of my cameras it is difficult to turn it without clicking it and changing the function.
    2. Related to #1, give us a menu option to better control how the rear dial works including the ability to eliminate the click function.
    3. Add a front control dial (or more menu options for the existing zoom lever).
    4. More buffer capacity.
    5. Please don't spend more loading the G7 up with video features.

Only when I get to #6 do I get into image quality.
    6. Better high ISO performance.

The problem for Panasonic though is that even with those improvements I won't be standing in line to buy a G7 at full retail price; I will wait a while for it to hit the used market. The G5 and G6 are really great cameras; particularly for the price.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    I second the bigger buffer! Actually what the G5 needs is faster SD write speeds. It can take 10+ seconds to write a RAW file to card! And then the buffer is small, compounding the problem.

Also, it needs a better body. Build quality is pretty plastic. I love the IQ in good light, however. I really can't tell my E-M5 apart from the G5 in good light.