G5 -- Slow to write to SD card

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Desert_B, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Desert_B

Desert_B Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Minnesota, U.S.A.
    Does anyone NOT have the slow write-to-SD-card issue when shooting in RAW?

In your experience -- Does class 10 vs. class 4 make much of a difference? Does free space on the SD card make much of a difference?

2. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    The speed of a card makes a huge difference, class 4 to class 10 should be a large improvement. Beyond that the high speed class 10 cards will be an improvement over the regular class 10.

For example.

Class 4 has a write speed of 4 mb/s.
    Class 10 has a write speed of 10 mb/s.
    So you're write more than twice as fast with a class 10.

But past that, there are the UHS (Ultra High Speed Cards). The one I use in my G5 has a 45 mb/s write speed.

It really cuts down the delay in writing RAW files, and allows me to use burst mode much more effectively.

Something like this, for example:
    Amazon.com : SanDisk Extreme 16 GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card 45MB/s SDSDX-016G-X46 : Securedigital Memory Cards : Electronics

3. sam_nl

sam_nl Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 19, 2013
    Thanks for the explanation, I didn't know something like UHS even existed. No more shooting burst in jpg only for me in the future :)

4. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    The G5 is known to have a small buffer and even with fast cards starts to slow quickly with RAW files...

5. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Very true.
    I had an SD card Class 10 with 20 mb/s and changed to a Class 10 with 45 mb/s card. But I don't see any better performance writing RAW files.
    I'm affraid you have to live with that.

6. Desert_B

Desert_B Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Minnesota, U.S.A.
    Does the G6 do better with regard to writing RAW files?

7. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Pavel
    I have G6 loaded with quick SanDisk 32GB SDHC Extreme Pro 95MB/s card. Once buffer is filled during continuous shooting (RAW+Fine JPG) it slow down to approximately one shot per second.

8. Desert_B

Desert_B Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Minnesota, U.S.A.
    That doesn't sound too bad. The G5 locks up completely for me -- this is shooting RAW, single shot mode, 1 shots every 2 seconds, after 8 or so shots.

9. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I don't mean this personally :smile: but that's really appalling performance. The camera is capable of much, much better performance.

10. Desert_B

Desert_B Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Minnesota, U.S.A.
    Good golly, I sure hope so. I need to do some more testing with better memory cards.

My Rebel XSi is old and not fancy, but it performs like a champ for my RAW shooting needs. With 3-shot bracketing, I can shoot and shoot without any problems. I need my G5 to be more like that!

11. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Try a 30 mbps or 45 mbps read/write card and see if things aren't much better. I've never used mine with less than 45 mbps read/write but I am not sure it isn't already maxed out below that.

12. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    I'm using a 45 mb/s Class 10 SD card and it does not improve much...

13. stevenmh

stevenmh Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 30, 2012
    Same here.

14. lightning

lightning Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    Kerava, Finland
    This issue is very annoying! Every time I take a series of pictures of my dog, buffer is full and writing is very slow to memory card and u have to wait several minutes until camera has wrote the files. And this of course, when you shoot in RAW format. That is only real thing which makes me think to switch the camera.

But when talking Panasonic G, i believe GH3 is the only model from Panasonic which can make it faster and buffer is bigger? And what comes to Olympus, does E-M5 bring an improvement to this?

15. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    Not had any problems with my EM5 shooting RAW+JPEG but I'm also using the Sandisk 95MB rated cards though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

16. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Hello,

Back to this post almost a year later.
    Does any Panasonic G5 owner had better results using a Sandisk Extreme Pro 95/90 UHS card (or other similar 90 write spead SD card) ?

17. Toddster

Toddster Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Florida
    Todd Cleaver
    Nope. The 90 write speed did not help (over the 50) for me. I think that the limitation is in the camera not the card.

18. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime

Thank's for your feedback.
    That's a shame. That limitation, and the less good dynamic range (compared with newer models) are the only things that makes me want to change. Apart from that, I love my G5.
    I hope the write speed on the E-M10, or the future G7 would be better.

19. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    My results were the same. Going over 45mbps produced no write speed gain in the camera. I don't know about the EM-10, but the EM-5 is substantially faster, and the EM-1 is faster still.

20. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    I've just tested a Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 UHS card on my G5 and I've noticed NO visible improvement