G5 replacement?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by ronbin80, Feb 8, 2013.

1. ronbin80

ronbin80 New to Mu-43

I have just joined MU-43 so if I am in the wrong forum please let me know. I am about to purchase a G5. I have read the reviews and am quite happy with them all but am wondering whether there is an updated replacement in the offing and hiding in the background. There is no point buying a G5 tomorrow and the G6 comes on the market next Monday...

Any ideas please??:rolleyes:
  2. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    There will ALWAYS be a replacement just around the corner, so you might as well decide on a camera and go for it. One strategy is to accept that fact and look for a camera a generation back, one that just a year or so ago would have been all the rage but now is "passe"--and therefore cheap.

So instead of a G5 you might look for a G3.

One thing you'll discover about m43 cameras is that you pay a hefty premium for being a new adopter. Prices on bodies fall quickly when a new model is released, which seems to happen every 6 months or so. So if you're willing to have "second best"--which just so happens to have been "the very best" less than a year ago--you can get some pretty good deals.

EDIT: Full disclosure: I have NOT always followed this advice, as witnessed by my two cameras! But I do so with my eyes open and realize they will both depreciate in value rapidly, which I'm OK with because I'm figuring to hold on to them for a while.
  3. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    The G5 replacement will arrive in around June and will be in shops in July/August it will ceternely cost more then today G5 offering.
    Regarding the G5, it is a great camera that can serve you well for years. If you want to save and get the G3 it is a good camera but its handeling is not as good as the G5.
    If you will sink into the hobby, keep in mind that lenses are more important then bodies. Get yourself a prime such as the P20 or P14 the quality difference from the kit is significant.
  4. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    You have some inside knowledge? That would mean the G5 only lasted a year or less before being replaced. I believe the G3 was a little longer than that (but only a couple of months longer IIRC?).
  5. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    If you look at the release history of the G series you see that Panasonic is announcing them late spring early summer. I have checked the cycle it is of 14 month. (Micro Four Thirds system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

August is not a good month to announce new camera because half of the world is in vacation. I assume that the announcement will happen in July and probably September. From previous years it takes a couple of month until the camera is in stores.
  6. ronbin80

ronbin80 New to Mu-43

G5 Replacement

Would you care to enlarge on P20 or P14 please, I am not sure what exactly they are??
  7. ronbin80

ronbin80 New to Mu-43

Would you be kind enough to enlarge on P20 and P14 please, I am not exactly what lens they are? ...
  8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    µ4/3 speak for lenses:

1) P14 - P= Panasonic, 14= 14mm,
    Which is µ4/3 speak for the Panasonic 14mm, f/2.5, pancake, prime lens.

2) P20 - P= Panasonic, 20= 20mm,
    Which is µ4/3 speak for the Panasonic 20mm, f/1.7, pancake, prime lens.

(G= Gary)
    • Like Like x 1
  9. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    They are lenses for m4/3 system :-

Panasonic 20mm f/1.7
    Panasonic 14mm f/2.5
  10. The Minimalist

The Minimalist Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2011
    They are prime lenses and guess what, they have not been replaced by newer models like camera bodies are. This is where you make your real investment with your chosen camera system. The G5 has not been long out so i would be suprised if it is replaced this year, but it will be replaced at some point.
    Just because a camera gets updated, doesn't mean that the previous model is now a bad camera. You can get new previous models for a very good price.
  11. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    As an early adopter of the 14mm, I would caution about glass in a new system, too. What was it, $399 new? Now, you can pick them up for $150!

I've lost a lot of money on glass in :43:, too.

14mm - dropped a lot after Ebay sellers bought and split kits
    14-140mm - has slowly dropped $150-200 over the last year or so
    45mm (PL) - dropped quite a bit due to (1) 45mm/1.8 being released as a faster lens at that focal length and (2) the 60mm being released as an alternative for macro work.

and so on. Sell off kit lenses ASAP, as they will just continue to depreciate (exception being the 14-45mm that has dropped very slowly, because it is better than any kit lens since.)
  12. The Minimalist

The Minimalist Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2011
    That's kind of true, but once you've got your lenses, you are more or less set. I suppose the point is wait a while after new kit has been released. Look at the prices of the GX1 & G3....... unbelieveable, very good cameras for the money.
  13. gsk3

gsk3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2012
    The P20 seems to have gone up. The P14 dropped precisely because it *was* a kit lens.
  14. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Yes and no. I have the P45/2.8 because I wanted something reasonably fast at that focal length, not because I shoot macro much. No other native lens was close. I lost a fair amount when, a year later, the lens that I really needed/wanted (O45/1.8) was released. With a new system, even if you know exactly what you want (I didn't, so there's another layer), it's not always offered. Prices can be high simply because the lens is the best choice available at the time.

gsk3 mentions the P20/1.7, which has at least remained steady. I fully expect it to drop way down when Panasonic decides to release a P20/1.7mkII with fast AF.

True, I've lost a lot of $ on bodies (GF1, G3, GX1), but it doesn't seem to hold for the highest end models. It took a long time for the GH2 to fall at all. Likewise, I waited a fair amount of time for the E-M5 to come down even a little, yet used prices were still barely below new prices. I was fortunate (still not sure how) to pick up a black one (body only, like new) on Ebay for $750. Of course, then I decided I might prefer the silver one, and though the price was I paid here was very fair, it was still nowhere near $750. It's probably due to the longer cycle for replacements than the lower-end models.
  15. Not good for the makers. Until it breaks or has become obsolete the gear usually does not get replaced. Focusing on getting the most from the gear and hopefully create better images with use and time. If the G5 meets your needs go for it and enjoy using it. Waiting for the next gen means always waiting.

GF-1 & G2 user. Posted from a 1st gen MacBook.
  16. kelly200269

kelly200269 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 25, 2013
    Leyland, Lancashire
    Martin Kelly
    I bought a Panasonic G2, just as it was being replaced by the G3. I must admit I was a bit 'miffed' at the time, although I now realise that I did get the G2 c/w 14-42 kit lens at a great price :)

Anyway, since then and after a bit of 'hard work' with my right index finger (lol), and a bit more investment in the m4/3 system, I have learnt two things:

1. The slow kit zoom lenses are awful, and 'push' you into using high ISO settings, introducing grain and noise into your pictures. Couple that with a pretty average optical performance, and they literally belong in the bin. My 14-42 was on eBay the day after I received my P20 :)

2. The G2, although now two generations behind the current Panasonic line-up, takes absolutely amazing pictures. I now prefer my G2/P25 to my Canon EOS 5D/EF 50 1.2 for everyday photography, because it's always with me ready to take pictures, rather than breaking my neck in attempting to carry the thing.

The G3 body is now 'a steal' at £269 on Amazon. If I were you, I'd get that with a P20 (avoid the kit) and you'll never look back! :)
  17. ronbin80

ronbin80 New to Mu-43

G5 Purchase

Thanks for all that info. I have just sold most of my Oly Zuiko lens but still have an E30 body with a 14-54 lens plus a 70-300.

I would like to know, will I be able to process my RAW shots using Photoshop CS5 and what is the concensus regarding lens for birds and wild life shots please?

I am off to purchase my G5 with a 14-42 power lens plus a lens for birds and wild life, next week, hence the question. I hope I am doing the right thing....

It's a pity you cannot get instant replies via e-mail on this forum, it makes life a lot easier.

18. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Adobe RAW converter supports the G5, but if you want a more convenient converter you should get LR4.
    Regarding birding lens there is the Panasonic 100-300 that is widely used by members of this forum. It is sharp for a zoom and got IOS. A shorter and cheaper option with OIS is the Panasonic 45-200.
    Non OIS solution can be using legacy lenses it is quit tricky to focus and use but the selection is wide.